pup in destress

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Daryl
coyotehunter

Re: pup in destress

Post by Daryl »

Amen Terry. I am not trying to say the WT is the #1 best caller but I have been around alot of foxpros and well yes they are good but after having a chance to be around the WT the volume and crispness of the sound was well WOW. When we located with it the howls were so realistic I swear I could hear the breath. The price isn't bad at $690 not much more then a foxpro. They are alittle bulky but at 3.7lbs with a sling on it it was over the shoulder and go. To each there own they say. I am happy I purchased one but don't expect people to jump at it just because it's my opinion. If you like the foxpro and it works well for you by all means use it. I also upgraded mine with the battery system which includes all rechargable batteries and a 15 minute home and car charger. We used TA's hard during the classic in that nasty weather and it never skipped a beat and the batteries lasted all day with the unit on. I did'nt buy it because I was told it was the best! I formed my own opinion on it by being around it and the foxpro. I have never had the chance to be around a Minaska but I am sure since Les Johnson uses it it has to be good right :wink:
I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss...
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

just watched my first L.J video and he was all about foxpro?? it was Quest ll :? a bit hard to watch to much fake calling for me :( ( sorry Les)
a proud member of the "IF" team
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Ya his new ones I think take alot of back editing but he has a TV show and I don't so good for him. Oh Tbush he is now all about the Minaska caller. It's the model with the built in decoy on it. He sounds like a nascar driver in his new videos with all the sponsors he thanks :lol:
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

That is why killing a high% of coyotes called in is important. Also I don't buy that a coyote can tell this from that as far as stero quailty goes, it is all his mood and agression factor at the time your calling him/her in that situation and time of the year. Someone stated that to kill "A" coyote a WT is far better, I don't think so, know that coyotes weakness and a guy can kill that coyote with other callers and even the lowly mouth call! How many where killed back when Bill Austin was howling with a chunk of PVC and mylar? Or alum tubes?
Coyotes are all wired the same and they all have the same weak spots and that will depend on the time of year, but I have called in coyotes with sounds of some dying critter that you could'nt find within 4 hours of here and they work. A little different tone and volume triggers that coyote or coyotes to want to come investigate.
Some coyotes can be call shy but they also can be brought in with a different setup and total different sounds if given time. If coyotes where shy to a rabbitt in distress then I guess he would quit eating rabbit? I think tone,cadance and volume can make a differance. Yet the bulk of fur called coyotes come to that sound of rabbitt blues.As every fall you have a new batch of young of the year coyotes full of energy and vigor to proove themselves!And older coyotes have had time and the stress of raising young to deal with and not so much about that last sound months prior in most cases that almost meant death.
The most slective time of the year to call "A" coyote is late spring and summer due to the denning and pup rearing, much more so than the fall/early winter when you have pup dispersal. Remember any tool or product line of that tool will always shine best in areas of higher coyote densitys. If you cold call alot and have low coyote densitys then your % of called in coyotes per stand will be less than those with either higher coyote density's or those that take the time and locate those coyotes before they setup on them, doesn't matter the brand of caller used. That being said, volume in cold calling can make "some"differance but not as much as one who knows the area and knows where those coyotes like to be or spends the time pre locating.

There are good callers on the market and I would bet any of the big 3 or 4 now with game tracks, used in the hands of good callers, would all call in coyotes with little problems overall. I have friends that love there WT's and some of those same guys have been with and watched them called in with my big country just as well. I just want a caller with good volume, decent sounds and the ability for me to add sounds and the most important works the same each time out!
I
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

[quote][ Every scenario plays out differently on every coyote. ./quote]

I'll agree with that. In the early part of the season most of the coyotes you are calling to are pups or YOY. These canbe called with just about any old rabbit distress sound. Now you are hunting dureing mid season and depending on calling pressure in a given area there can be fewer YOY left to call to. So that leaves the coyotes that are more than a year old, some of these will still come to a rabbit distress sound and others maynot so then you have to give them something different along with a rabbit distress. Like throw in a coyote howl or maybe pup distress.
Now lets move onto late season: There still maybe a few pups around but may have played the game a time or two and then you have the survivors, older conditioned coyotes. These are the one's that you have to convince there is another coyote in there terr. so you will need the best perfect sounds that are actual animals that come out of a caller loud and clear. In my opinion this is where the WT comes into play or a real good hand caller..

[quote][/I find it hard to believe that every rabbit makes the same sound at the same time when they are in distressquote]
When calling to YOY coyotes i don't think it matters just as long as it sounds like some type of distrees sound. The same goes for older coyotes, but you may have to convince them a little more by tossing in some coyote vocals...
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

coyotelatrans wrote: Someone stated that to kill "A" coyote a WT is far better
I
Where was that stated???
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

If coyotes where shy to a rabbitt in distress then I guess he would quit eating rabbit?
I don't think they will ever stop eating rabbit, but they maybe a little more cautious about comeing in for a free meal, and some may never come in looking for a free meal if they are burned badd enough...
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

coyotelatrans - Good post, Agree 100%

T.A. - I also agreed, that if a coyote gets "educated" a distress sound will be tough to convience him to come in. It can be done but it will be alittle more work.

A distress sound is a distress, there is no magical distress sound out there. Its the mood the coyote is in, and if he has been "educated" with that distress sound. They are predators, they are wired to eat distressed prey. Early fur months I love the rabbit calls. This time of the year is the only reason I purchased a foxpro, so I can have recording of different species distress sounds, something new, some different.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

Daryl here is a previous post;

I think if a hunter is going to call to coyotes any good caller will work, but if a hunter is going to target a certain coyote i believe youre chances of bringing this coyote in willbe much greater with the use of a WT.
I have a Minaska Big country also and a dennis Kirk caller and i use handcalls also and last year when i hunted with Randy Roede and his WT i was sold on it the first day, and bought a WT a few month's later and have never looked back..
Last edited by coyotelatrans on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

It is as much timing of the year and coyote densitys as anything. I have talked to callers in Cali that hunt areas that get hit hard but they still use distress sounds and kill coyotes. One will tell you he has less luck with coyote howls than distress sounds.

Density's mean things as you have more coyotes you have more YOY coyotes, meaning if a typical population is made up of 60-70% YOY coyotes you will have more left later in the calling season meaning these coyotes have been run,chased and some chewed on by older more agressive coyotes so with higher density's comes a more negative reaction in some areas to using coyote vocals of older coyotes, why would those YOY coyote respond to a female howl or a male howl? Knowing full well they maybe in for a scrap?

I have had better luck in mating even with a lower density of coyotes by using younger coyote howls and distress mixed in, even in areas of heavy calling pressure from 4 contest in 6 weeks time. To me I have the best of both worlds I have coyote vocals on the same age plane as the YOU that are left and also the fact of a distress critter out there, some of these feel the need to investigate and some may even think I'm badder than he so I will go steal the meal from this other youngun. If it is adults that are paired well they sure as shite, won't allow some young dude come in and take the food pantry and sit out there and smart off about it. So you get them to enter in as well.

Now for me if I know I'm working adult coyotes like early calving deals and they are chasing new borns then I go right into the adult challange howls be it male or female and tell them sorry but I'm here and I'm calling this placenta rich haven mine, the thing I have found as have others for a period of time they are not super agressive around these calving deals as it is like they allow other pairs to be in on the ealry calving grounds together, then as others start they start to sift off to the other grounds, but it seems as though a timeline is hit and then the agression really kicks in.

I have had areas at calving time where I stopped in 5 places to locate at night and had 5 different pairs all answer me in 5 different directions, all within 2 miles of the calving area, I would have thought they would run some off but with lower densitys maybe the need to defend at that time before the holes are cleaned out and the pups dropped they tolerate others better.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

great discussion guys!!

As far as the electronic calls go they are all good. I look for ease or use and ease to carry and customer service. I can put my own sounds on them if I need something different or unique. I don't think any one caller is above and beyond the rest or helps you kill a certain sheep or calve killing coyote any better then the rest of them its the person running the caller that makes the difference.

As far as the pup distress goes after hearing ALL different aged pup distress with my own ears i will agree that most people are doing Ki-yi's and calling it pup distress it doesn't sound like what most people picture in their mind due to the industry labeling sounds wrong. Anything after september is a coyote.

As far as what kind of electronic call dictating how good and ADC man is well i don't know what to really say about that it just doesn't deserve a response i guess. Most of the best ADC guys this country has ever seen NEVER had and electronic call. And an ADC man that doesn't use all the tools avaliable (Plane, snares ect) most likely isn't doing everything that he can for his cooperators.

I believe that Bill GAVE a lot of ADC men his caller for free for the good advertising they weren't purchased because those guys thought they were the best caller
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Sounds pretty good daryl!! There is a video in the top dog forum that has about the same pitch but a different variation. I know the recording in the forum is the real deal 100%. Im sure the WT is real too. To me it sounded like the one in the topd dog forum was jsut as clear if not more clear than what the WT produced and that sound came out of a FX3 i bielieve.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Daryl
coyotehunter

Post by Daryl »

Like I said to each his own I am most certainly not trying to sell a WT and that video was taken with my phone it is much clearer in person. Just thought I would post a little demo for those who have not heard a pup distress.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

you accomplished what you set out to do :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!