Few questions on a couple calibers.

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Brod_Man

Few questions on a couple calibers.

Post by Brod_Man »

First off im new here, so ill start by introducing myself.
My name is Brody Colegrove. I lIve in waverly ohio. Im 15 (turning 16 in june) Im a sophomore at Huntington High School, and i just love gods great outdoors.
Anyways back to the guns.
Im looking to get my first coyote rifle. Ive fretted for about a year now, commiting to one gun, then the next. So right now, im trying to leave an open spot there, for whatever gun. What im more interested in is ths. Im will be hunting at all different ranges. anywhere from 50yds.-400+ yards. I have narrowed down the caliber to two. .220 swift, and .22-250. Now heres what i want to know. What is an optimum barrel length for either caliber, and what are the optimum twist rates for either caliber. I want this gun to be as accurate as all get out. I dont want these coyotes to get a second chance.
I also would like to know which caliber would be easier to reload?
Thanks for any and all help in advance.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Few questions on a couple calibers.

Post by bucksnbears »

Hi there youngster. if your just gonna target coyotes i'd say stick with a 22-250 or 243. if fox are on the menu perhaps a .223 would be better. as for the swift, great gun but you may have a hard time getting factory ammo. i,d stick with a 1-12 twist in .22cal. for a wider range of bullet weights.with a 22-250 i wuold'nt go under a 50 grain bullet with the 50-55 being a great all around choice. 22-250 is easy to reload although a bit more expensive than a .223. barrel leanght from 22 26 inches is fine. glad to see you love the outdoors. good luck and send more questions if need be. there's a bunch of knowlegable people here that are willing to help out.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

First welcome.
Well I'm a 220 fan but what B'sn Bears says is certainly true.Its getting harder to get factory ammo and the choices are more limited.The 220 is easy to reload but 'brass'is still a problem-at least good brass.
Sounds like of your two given options,the 250 would be the better choice.As to barrel length,I've got the 250 in 22 and 24.I'd get the 24.
CrittrCallr
coyotehunter

Post by CrittrCallr »

Welcome! As to you're two choices, I'd go with the .22-250. As to barrel length, I prefer the 22", but that's a personal choice. You can't go wrong with a 24 or even a 26".
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Whichever you choose i highly suggest that you properly break in the barrell. You will be more than satisfied with either caliber. I shoot a 250 and love the caliber. As mentioned before i would stay in the 50 - 60 grain bullet range on any coyote. If you want to hunt with a bullet around 65 grain or more in a 250 i would suggest a 1:9 twist rate. ohterwise a 1:12 will cover most bullets 55 grain and less.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
wizbang
coyotehunter

Post by wizbang »

Don't mean to sidetrack the conversation, but what do you mean when you say to break in the barrel, lyonch?
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Every new barrel as imperfections when new, breaking is cleaning the barrel after so many shots till their are no more imperfections in the barrel. Its alot more detailed then what I explained.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

If i were you i would research some of the custom barreling manfaturers websites to see how to properly break in a barrel. A barrel after being turned is very poris (sp). When you properly break in a barrel you fill in and seal the pores of the metal and take out any tiny burrs or imperfections out of the rifiling. Once done properly your cleaning time will be cut in 1/4 time :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

both are great guns. 26" barrel for sure. what size bullet are you going to shoot? if you are going heavy I would shoot a 9 or 10 twist.
Coyotes Forever
Tango
coyotehunter

Post by Tango »

brod man,
that would not be huntington wv that you go to school is it. i know you said you live in OHIO but do you go to school in wv
right where God wants me