diesel or gas

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tbush
coyotehunter

diesel or gas

Post by Tbush »

Do you think that you have to walk in farther to a stand site after parking a diesel truck versus a gas truck , because of the louder noise of the engine, or try and cover up the header noise of a gas engine??? I know as i'm approching a parking spot I try and keep my foot out of the gas as to not make more noise :?
a proud member of the "IF" team
xdeano
coyotehunter

Re: diesel or gas

Post by xdeano »

well you're definitely going to be louder with a diesel. I have a diesel and a gas truck, I tend to use the wind to my advantage even with parking the truck, so I don't make to big of a deal with it. Just use the wind. Now if there isn't any wind, they'll know you're there either way. Don't worry about it, plus you shouldn't be sitting that close to the truck anyhow. :)

deano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

When we first started in this game Papapete had a louder than hell pickup. He can probably clarify why it was that way---I don't know enough about cars to comment.

Anyway, our success is better now---and he doesn't have that pickup anymore. Granted we got better at picking stands and doing the other things, but it makes a guy wonder? :P
Seriously, I am sure some sounds of trucks could be harmful to your calling.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

The quiter the better if you ask me. Shut the truck off and let it role to its stopping location in neutral and then place in park when it stops. Just hopt the breaks aren't loud!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

They will hear a disesel coming from miles, then when you idol down its just as loud.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Definetly can make a difference on a calm day although the diesels are getting better these days but i know i have been on stand in tournaments and have heard a diesel pull up to call the area we were in and i could hear it from a long ways away so you know the coyotes can hear it and know exactly what it is.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Hitman off road
coyotehunter

Post by Hitman off road »

There is a much worse aspect to running a diesel, the smell.
Compare the exhaust smell of a modern diesel and a modern gasser, you will find that even the human nose will detect diesel exhaust much further away. I suppose if the coyotes are used to the smell in that area it might not be a big deal.
However if they are used to the smell, are they also used to the sound?
All that said, I drive a 2007 ford super duty with a diesel, and as long as I park about a quarter mile away, it's not a problem.
I am willing to take the chance of spooking a few 'yotes to get 24 MPG though!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

LOLOLOL good point Hitman!
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!