STANLEY 30

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

STANLEY 30

Post by bucksnbears »

kept this as somewhat of a me thing for along time but feel its time to share a tip that i've been doing for years. in my part of the world(west cent. minn.) we have very flat topograpy. limeted cover. fox often sleep in small road side culverts during the day. usally the farmers field approaches. most all hunters think that when they see a culvert dug out they assume its a jackrabbit. and they do, but seldom bed in the culvert . i would say i've got 100+ fox out of culverts by way of stanley??? who's he??? he comes in a small yellow and metal pacckage. tape measure. i've seen MANY times when i've seen a fox duck into one and no matter what i've done he won't come out but fish a tape measure in and its a damn near guanantee he'll scoot out the far end. just make sure you have a gun ready or a 220 conibear over the other end. this really wotks great and this may also apply to other situations when they are holed up. just a trick i've used 4 years and have never heard of any one else doing it.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tbush
coyotehunter

Re: STANLEY 30

Post by Tbush »

Hey neat trick :D 8) It seems like you go to great length's to get the job done :wink: :lol: :lol:
a proud member of the "IF" team
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

That is an awesome tip bucksnbears!!! :D So are saying that sometimies you are finding the fox in the culverts right next to the road??? Or are they mainly minimum maintance roads?? I have seen a lot of fox run into dens and or drain tile in the middle of the fields or a culvert if it is out there. I guess i have never seen or tried to get them out of the culverts right next to the road :shock: Have you ever shot one and then had them run into a culvert and die on you???? I know a feel people have a #9 wire and big nasty treble hook on one end to reach in there and snag them out. Just another tip that i have heard other using if you have one run into a culvert.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

they go into roadside culvert alot. usually the small ones .field approachs with cuvert about 10-12 inches are best. you can sometimes smell the entrance to determine if they are in there. quite often this time of year there will be a pair in them. have shot many a double with the help of stanly..you may have to dig down to the entance on one end as they dont always dig both sides out. just run the tape in 3 ft ata time and rattle it as you go. i've yet to see this fail as long as the tape is long enough but most aproach culverts are only 30 ft. so i carry a 30 ft. tape.done it with coon also but if its real cold out and they are sleeping hard they dont want to come out and will chew up the tape. i have shot them in culverts with .22lr.and then fished them out with a treble hook years ago but could'nt get most out. thats when i met stanley and he'e a great aid.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I suppose the next thing we will hear is that everyone will be upgrading to the fat max :lol: :lol: :lol: I think you just sold stanly 100 tapes or more just from that post :lol: :lol: Great idea and i might have to give that a try!! I suppose a shogunner on the other end would be ideal for this type of work.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Some of the old timers here use bottle rockets to get them out of the pipes. They would dig out both ends of a culvert and have one guy with a shotgun on one end and the other guy on the other and send in a few rockets.LOL
I've never gone after a healthy fox or coyote in a pipe cause i think it maybe illegal here in MN. to do so..Something to do with Den harrasment, but not sure so i don;t do it..
Now if its a wounded coyote or fox then we go after them, i think it falls under retrieve all wound game if possable...Equipement we use for this is a set of ear plugs, flashlite or hand held spot lite,and a sewer tape with 1'-1 1/2' flat band and a 22 l.r.. The sewer tape has a home made double hook on one end which is designed to straighten out if it gets caught on the lip of the culvert but has enough strength to pull a coyote out..