Randy Anderson's "hot dog"

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Nodak72
coyotehunter

Randy Anderson's "hot dog"

Post by Nodak72 »

I went out calling yesterday, and had heard of taking the barrel off the R.A. "little dog", and put it on the "Hot Dog". before I tried this little trick (that I heard of somewhere, I think on one of R.A's video's) I was having trouble getting what I felt was the right sounds further back on the reed, but with this set up I howled in my first coyote (I wasn't patient enough and shot when he was to far out and botched it up and missed but, the point is I howled one in). before this I was ready to throw that dammed "Hot Dog out my car window doing 70 and buy a song dog ("oops" I already ordered one,I love to buy call's). It felt good to actually get something to work after a person get's so frustrated. Just thought I would share and maybe save someone else some frustration who has a "Hot Dog!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Randy Anderson's "hot dog"

Post by Tim Anderson »

Get ahold of Steve Thompson out of Pierre S.D. ( http://sdsnake.com/coyote.htm ) Steve takes the Randy Anderson tone board and modifies it to make it easier to use and it sounds really good . I have a stock tone board and a modified one and let friends try both . The modified one gets picked every time... Steve also makes some nice howlers...
Nodak72
coyotehunter

Post by Nodak72 »

I am going to get one, someday. I realy like the sound of the "hot dog'"! but, as A lot of people say it is real difficult to make it sound like Randy Anderson does with that long bell on it! but, it sounds like this steve thompson call is a lot easier with the same sound. Thank's tim! :)
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Carbon copy of the Dan Thompson Red Desert Howler but doesn't sound as good. Don't like the call stick with your song dog and you'll be just fine. However if it works for you keep using it im just not a fan
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
rhino
coyotehunter

Post by rhino »

I have a hot dog and only have used it once or twice. Can't stand it. I really like the Red Desert and use it all the time.
The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

Post by The Outdoorsman »

I get better sounds with the long bell off my Hot Dog, but I still favor my Song Dog, a great investment.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Here is a pic of the modified tone board done by Steve Thompson..
Nodak72
coyotehunter

Post by Nodak72 »

Tim Anderson, thank you for telling me about Steve Thompson! I did get in touch with him and he sent me three different style modified hot dog sound boards( plus a distress call, he makes! I have A bad call buying addiction! :lol: ) They were all three easier to blow and sounds way better then Primos tone board's, this made all the difference in the world!