Fox Dispatch

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

Fox Dispatch

Post by lyonch »

I have been getting a few pm's about how i dispatch my fox, so i caught one on a nuiscance job and had my dad take pics of me as i was dispatching it. This method is very clean. Once in a great while there will be some blodd that comes out of the nose or ears. When you get more confident and efficent with this, you wont have to kneel when you straddle the fox, you will just grab and go from your feet.

I have attached pictures on how i dispatch fox. When i dispatch my fox, i give them a slight hit, or bop on the nose/head and this stuns them. You can use a piece of rebar, or a billy club or anything you would like.

After he/she is stunned, lay the fox on there stomach. Straddle the fox with your legs and make sure the muzzle area is point away from you. The fox will still be breathing, but will not be awake. As you are straddling the fox and sitting on your heels, grab his mouth with one hand and hold it shut. This is your handle to dispatch.

Take his/her nose and point it to your belly button. Take your other hand grab the muzzle too.

Now that you have a good hold of the muzzle push his entire head away from your body at the same angle the muzzle is facing you. You should hear/feel
an obvious pop in there kneck. What you have just done, is seperate there spine from their head. this coming fall i was going to take pictures while i do this just to have and send to people. Some times there is a small amount of blood when you do this, and it comes out of there nose and or occasional ear. I've been advised that this will only work on fox and maybe some other small stature critters.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Tbush
coyotehunter

Re: Fox Dispatch

Post by Tbush »

Very simuler to how I used to do it. I have an old base ball bat cut down like a club and used to tap them on the nose and lay them on thier side and put a knee on the heart and stop it as this was happening I would take off the trap and start to set and bed the trap, usually by the time I was ready to sift it was dead and I finished dressing the set, lots of time they would poop as they died and would just use it right there at the set. As I got better at it I just let them grab the wood bat and would just reach in a grab them behind the head then slide down to the muzzle and finish with the knee, Once I got comfy doing this no more blood
a proud member of the "IF" team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

If you're putting up fur that is the only way to go.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Looks like a great way to get some friendly jumping friends too! :wink:
1Shooter
coyotehunter

Post by 1Shooter »

Thanks for the info, I'll have to give that a try this fall if I find one of those little buggers in a trap.
Savage 12 .22-250
(As of 4/18/10)
Gopher - 2
Skunk - 2
Coon - 10
Possum - 1
Fox - 2
Coyotes - 2
Beaver - 1
Ermine - 1
Muskrat - 19
Tactical.20