Rub sets

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Rub sets

Post by Coyotehunter »

BBJ did you get a chance to read all of that study?
Coyotes Forever
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

Coyotehunter wrote:BBJ did you get a chance to read all of that study?
I did. Rather quickly, soon as I get a chance im gonna sit down and let it dissolve a little slower.

Was some good stuff in there, little dissapointed they only looked at S-hooks really. Lots of other break away designs out there that I think are more consistent/effective from what ive seen.
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

why has this turned to the notion that anyone is implying carring rebar to every set?? It is like most tools.....there is a time and a place. If I have good entanglement I do not bother with rebar

Coyotehunter, it hasn;t turned into the notion of every set needing rebar, the stingers allow you to never have to carry any rebar to any snare set ever again. That is the beauty behind the product! The "MAIN" reason for it to be invented in the first place, makes rebar a thing of the past, a snaring era gone by and made better just as the cam lock did for snaring. Times change and things improve, Evolution.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I guess if my only source for information on killing coyotes was you then maybe that would be the end of it. The reality is your position and experience does little to persuade me. I have killed a couple of coyotes myself and have delt with a few trappers that have some experience as well. I just find you to be in a minority when it comes to the the praises of the stinger and a ground anchor point in nonentanglement, to be the best way of dealing with open country coyotes. All be it you may not be a minnority of one but non the less at least in this discussion and from the opinion of the auther in this study.....well our experiences do not mirror yours. the whole notion that a elevated anchor point in nonentanglement is of no advantage............well those of you who have trail snared coyotes know the value of a kill pole in open ground.
Coyotes Forever
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

We will agree then to disagree, I don't need others opinion to realize the merits of the stinger spring and filed cams. The only proof I need is in my own personnel use and as long as I don;t have to pack any kill poles ie: re bar then I'm all the more happier to incorporate something that saves time, money and has a high efficiency. I'm all for those that have tried things through time and not hit and miss and inject on something they have little use with. Your linked study was about break aways and only touched briefly on the subject of the stinger spring. Not testing the spring but the break away! Time and results have proven there worth to many who are willing to open eye's and ears and try new things, specially when they have merit.
Sadly somethings are sold well for nothing more than a fresh idea and to be different, marketing is all. Once in awhile things come along that have real value and not about the marketing but about the ends results. Take Care.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Good discussion gentlemen!

As far as snaring in the open with no entaglement i thinks it taking a "chance" at best. Besides on a 24 hour check on a specific coyote i think a guy needs to look at if the snare is the proper tool for the situation. I think most people either need too perfect of a spot before they set a snare and then a lot of people think you can snare any where. I haven't used much for actual "Kill Poles" however i have used a few of my versions of them. A dispatch spring is a must that is for sure in any snaring in my opinion. I haven't heard of anyone that snares a "good" number of coyotes besides marty himself that likes the stinger spring. Just my two cents
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

That is about the only set I make for cats. I get half of mine in coyote sets. I get smart coyotes in my rub sets! I seem to get more males than females in these sets.