Putting up dirt

Coyote, Fox, Beaver, Racoon, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Putting up dirt

Post by Coyotehunter »

Just started this past weekend getting dirt put up for the fall and winter. I will post some pictures in a day or two. Anyone else getting dirt ready to go? If so what do you do to prepare your dirt?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Putting up dirt

Post by Tim Anderson »

I had some black dirt left over from last year in pails and dried, ended up using it to repair the lawn. :cry:
Plan to take some pales to work and get some free dirt that's been piled up most of the summer so its pretty dry. Once I get it home I will run it through a dirt sifter and transfer to larger containers and store in trap shed till needed......
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I use a lot of coal shale out here in Wyoming. when I trapped in North Dakota I would get dirt from pocket gopher mounds. dry it on tarps and store in in garbage cans. This is my first try with the waxed shale. I really do not have a great set up for it but seems to be working, just bit slow. I set it up before I leave in the morning and set a new batch up in the afternoon before it cools down. since it has been mid 90's everyday for the past 2 weeks as long as the it is exposed to direct sunlight it don't take long to melt. I just don't have time to sit here and watch wax melt all day. If I had a longer trough it would speed things up.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I usually keep my eye open for badger mounds if I'm running low on dirt and will hit a few of them if the weather isn't bad and then mix a little sand in with the dirt to keep it from caking. Decided this season if I put any traps out I'm going to use double wax paper and be done with it. Tried under all's last year and they worked well for coyotes but a little to heavy for fox, but then again they may be a better choice on a snow set.....
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

20130919_113839 (800x600).jpg