population predictions??

coyote studies

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tbush
coyotehunter

population predictions??

Post by Tbush »

I've been thinking about coyote population's goiong into spring and wondering what others might feel or have seen?? About two weeks ago I was in the middle of doing some "control work"... guys call me when theres a problem and the word spead so I was busy :D On diff. days, diff areas, I called in muti coyotes one spot behind a cattle yard and deer yarding area I had 6 come from the north, 2 from the SE and 1 from the SSE, now I can see a reason for the 2 and the single male to the SSE of them.But the six all together?? the ones I shot out of the six were all males and one old boy? and in a diff. area 4 in a group with none shot :( I know with all the flooding and water everywhere they area bunched into a smaller area than normal and I have been seeing more out and about but not very much vocal's ....So just some thoughts IMO we are going to have a hell of alot of coyotes this next fall and then the mange will start up strong agian
a proud member of the "IF" team
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: population predictions??

Post by Prairie Ghost »

More than a pair on a den during denning season USUALLY means one of two things. Either the densities are high without much room to spread out or the prey species is low and they need to concentrate on larger game to sustain the pups. Six together however would leave me to believe that there was a unbred female that smelled really good to the boys. Good chance that was five males and a female still in heat
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

i think all the deep snow the past 3 years may have helped the population grow somewhat.there have been huge areas that have been unexsecible.no way in without snowshoes/snowmobiles. i will say out of the 10+ trips i made last winter the coyote sightings were over 30+ each day (average). there is so much talk about all the coyote hunters out there but i seen so lillte sign of it. talked to many ranchers that have had no one ask to hunt..the deer population is way down and the coyote population is way up. coyotes were really hanging around deer this winter.mange will most likely come through again and knock down the pop. enjoy the #'s while we can.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

So in the experience that you guys have with population, and the prediction of mange. what kind of decline is to be exspected if/when mange gets bad again......

Bucs, you hit the melon right between the eyes on the "talk" that everone was doing..... Bunch of nancy boys bitching about there deer population going down, and blaming it on coyotes....

The reports that i got from a few guys late in the season is that the population is "crazy"....
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I'd say the coyote population has always been that high in western N.D., only now in the last few years has a large number of hunters tapped into it.
I had a area I hunted in for many years and never saw a coyote with mange and I would see 30-40 animals in a few days if not more and this went on for 10 years ... Now the numbers are considerbly lower and I see mange more often..It dose'nt really matter how high or low the population is, if mange is around they will get it but only faster if there are high numbers..
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Western North Dakota numbers have not always been this high! The last three years the population has been up considereably. When numbers are high the mange spreads further and and faster affecting more of the population on a more wide spread basis due to high numbers. Like bucs said get in while the numbers are high and make it pay a little becasue the low years are coming.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

The population density in the NE part of ND is pretty down this year. I'm not sure why that is. But you get past Devils lake and west and the population starts going up. Once you get half way across the state it starts going nuts. I've talked to several guys over in the Minot, Garrison area and the numbers are pretty high.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

the numbers in Western North Dakota are as good right now are crazy. We have 10 years worth of data from the trounaments and also from talking with fur buyers. I have hunted coyotes in 9 western states, texas and arizona for instance. I have done as well in western North Dakota as I have done anywere if not better. I have been all over Arizona and used to go as many as 3 times a year. they have lots of coyotes all through out that state but they have nothing over eastern Montana and western North Dakota.
Coyotes Forever