What caused this

Do you have questions or tips to share on putting up your fur, this is the place to go

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

lyonch
coyotehunter

What caused this

Post by lyonch »

I shot a coyote a few weeks ago around my house, and when i was fleshing it i thought someon had shot it in the back with fine shot. After closer inspection i started to see the same thing i see on coon once in a while. it looks to me to be either a tick/mite bites. Some of the marks have old scar tissue and some are fresh. So what do you think caused this? I have never seen this on a coyote before. It was a female if that means anything.

Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
DustyC

Re: What caused this

Post by DustyC »

I think that they are bite marks from the dog trying to get at fleas. Did she have alot of fleas on her?
"God hates a coward"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

some look longer and not round like ticks or fleas Dusty might be right, Barb wire marks??
a proud member of the "IF" team
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

I asked the Doc, (my wife is a Veterinarian) she said it is either mange, or a coyote that had a bad allergic reaction to fleas. If she had a close up look she said she could be sure. Either way she said you probly did this one a favor. Probly very painfull. :(
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Thanks for the replies!! I would have to go with fleas myself then since that seems to be a general concensus. I don't remember her having a lot of fleas, sine I spray them before I start skinning. They look just like tick bites that I see on my coon. I will have the Fur Buyer look at it and see what he comes up with!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!