Plan for the worst when using your snowshoes

We want to hear your opinion or questions on the videos, guns, calls, etc.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Fallguy
coyotehunter

Plan for the worst when using your snowshoes

Post by Fallguy »

Last year when we were discussing snowshoes another member on here was talking to me about my bindings. I wear some Faber bindings that I got from Cabelas. They consist of a nylon heel strap with a plastic buckle and laces that tighten some plastic material around your forefoot. I really like these bindings, as did the other member, but there are lots of parts that could potentially fail. That other member (sorry I can't remember who it was off hand :oops: ) said that he would carry extra parts to repair his snowshoes in the field.

Last spring I put together this little repair kit. It is contained in a small waterproof bag that I got at Walmart. It folds up pretty small as you can see in the picture here. I can clip it to my binocular straps, or carry in my pocket or pack.

Inside I have the following things: about 7 feet of paracord, two 1 inch buckles for my heel straps, some extra paracord cinches for my laces which are made of paracord, some small zip ties for fastening, and two strong rubber straps. Here is a picture of that stuff (glow in the dark alien does NOT come with :D ):

This week I went calling with xdeano and his old Bob Maki bindings broke and we had to use this kit twice in the field. Of course, it is just a temporary fix, but enables you to get back to the truck faster than hoofing it through deep snow in regular boots! At first I thought I was just being over prepared, but having had to use this twice in one day, I found it useful. Hope this post helps someone out!
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Dcoy
Top Dog

Re: Plan for the worst when using your snowshoes

Post by Dcoy »

Cool.Good plan and kit.
I think you had chatted with me. :D
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Dcoy wrote:Cool.Good plan and kit.
I think you had chatted with me. :D
Dcoy I was thinking it was you but I couldn't remember! Probably could have looked back on the posts but couldn't remember if it was on here or Nodak. I didn't want to have to go through what you did---walking a mile back to the truck on ONE snowshoe!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Yes,you're right,you never want to do that. :(
Maki's break and crack;leather ones stretch so the holes join,Fabers and others with plastic buckles fail,hell they all do eventually and in addition,all attachments between the bindings and the shoe itself fail eventually.Shoe long enough and you'll wish for a kit and need a kit.
A friend might have developed a binding that is near foolproof-a take off on Fabers 'snaps' but ones made of metal.As you know,Fabers have 2 plastic potential weak links,he's only improved one,but IMO Fabers are still the best.Certainly the best I've found.Hopefully I'll be able to test his idea soon.One key to Fabers is taking care not to step on the 'snaps' while putting em on or taking em off.Cold plastic and heavy weight=failure.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Dcoy

I think I will be sticking with my Fabers...I like them THAT much! Is there anything you see that you would add to my kit? My buckles are attached to my bindings with rivets. I was thinking for a quick fix, using paracord or zipties would work in a pinch. Not sure if you could fix them perfectly if they do break. What did you do?
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

good post Fallguy. i keep 1,- 2 foot piece of 1" nylon strap with a steel buckle wrapped around the back of 1 of my shoes just in case. i did have a binding failure last year and although it was only 1/2 mile back to the truck. that extra saved the day.
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

bucksnbears

How do you wrap that around the shoe? I have thought about securing that blue bag to the back of one of my snowshoes--almost like carrying a spare tire on a car, so it is always there and ready if I need it. Just didn't know if that would weight down the snowshoe or cause them to work differently.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Fallguy wrote:bucksnbears

How do you wrap that around the shoe? I have thought about securing that blue bag to the back of one of my snowshoes--almost like carrying a spare tire on a car, so it is always there and ready if I need it. Just didn't know if that would weight down the snowshoe or cause them to work differently.
i'll try to post pics later. gonna head out for a bit
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Fallguy,I've just used para cord and treated leather strapsor laces(they work great for securing the binding to the shoe).Its not ideal but gets you home.
I know when we chatted I told you my source for the buckles in the right size was the Heater Body Suit people but where did you get the small cylinder type plastic pieces?(the second weak but less critical link on Fabers)
I need to get one cause imagine its just a matter of time although never had one fail yet.
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

Dcoy

I got those cinch thingys at Walmart in the camping stuff. I got a box of 4 or 5 for like $1.63 or something.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

OK,thanks much.