coyote hunting sites

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

bustincoyotes1
coyotehunter

Re: coyote hunting sites

Post by bustincoyotes1 »

i would be interested in a tournament in that part of the state Tango..LOTS of coyotes in that area
wildcatCo

Post by wildcatCo »

Southeast ND sounds fine to me.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

cogswell has a tournament and so does lamoure, if anyone is intrested
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
ponydog

Post by ponydog »

Yall don't know how lucky you are to be able to have places to have tourneys ...here in the middle midwest...( as I can never imagine why anyome calls Chicago the midwest) I am in SE Missouri......look at a map, and point to the middle of the country , centralized....it sure aint Chicago....anyway ,
back to my envy of tourneys .....I have never been to one, or even know the format....but what a great way to swap ideas, learn, and listen....if anyone knows of one a bit closer to the "Middle Midwest" or I will make it easier and say the middle of the country ....( Iowa, Missouri , Arkansas, S Illinois, W Ky, W Tennessee.....) I sure would be interested in any information .....I enjoy this site.....it is very informative, and I am glad I found it. Best of luck in the tourneys you attend, and as always , be safe..........
The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

Post by The Outdoorsman »

Im with ponydog on this one, I wish there were more tournys here in the midwest. I do know of one here in Indiana but the registration for it is over and it starts next month, its call the Indiana Predator Challenge.
perch161

Post by perch161 »

I really like this site. I don't post anything that often because I really suck at coyote hunting so far. But that hasn't stopped me from getting out there and try to put to good use all of the info that I have gathered from here and other sites. I am what everyone calls a lurker but what you guys do here on this site really helps amatures like me. Keep up the great work and thank you for all of your very informative posts.

referring to the posts above about the middle of the country contests. The I.P.C. is in Feb they may still have openings check the website. There is also a contest in central IL coming up here shortly, I don't know any of the details I just read about one somewhere not sure where though.
wyojrt
coyotehunter

Post by wyojrt »

I have to agree I enjoy this site. I can really appreciate the warm welcome I've gotten/felt from folks...even though I've never hunted a coyote in my life. I do hunt predators, just not coyotes and not in the traditional fashion as many of you....but none of you have made me feel unwelcome. Everyone's testosterone seems to be in check and nobody wants to compare who's is bigger.....it's nice. I'm looking forward to getting to a point where I glean information from the fur handling section as well....and maybe one day I'll have a lurcher to go for some coyotes and be able to share that.

Anway...kudos not only to the moderators, but to all the members.....
It's all about the huntin'
Jake
coyotehunter

Post by Jake »

:D CoyoteHunter , well put, You should be able to voice your own thoughts, own a subject, without someone come down on you. and for the most part that is great about this site. I have enjoyed this site more than any other., because of that. there are alot of good people on this site with alot of knowledge, that is willing to share it.
It is, What it is.
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

A lot of coyote around here are shot off the road, as they cross, they use 4-5 pickups and other equipment. They shoot into the section with a semi-auto and wait for them to run to the road, kinda illegal and unsafe :roll: I spot-stalk mine, I do pretty good with that method, I enjoy the challenge. Calling is tougher, it is hard to go somewhere, where they haven't noticed you on the road, imo. Sometimes the only reason I get the coyote is because I hate to give up on one.
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Tactical.20 wrote:A lot of coyote around here are shot off the road, as they cross, they use 4-5 pickups and other equipment. They shoot into the section with a semi-auto and wait for them to run to the road, kinda illegal and unsafe :roll: I spot-stalk mine, I do pretty good with that method, I enjoy the challenge. Calling is tougher, it is hard to go somewhere, where they haven't noticed you on the road, imo. Sometimes the only reason I get the coyote is because I hate to give up on one.
same thing here Tac. i'll take a road dog if the oppurtunity is there but it seldom happens in minn.to flat and they "always"notice a vehicle coming. to flat here to hide one. calling sucks here too...
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

I saw 3-4" of snow in the mountains, made me wish for coyote hunting! Saw 2 coyotes, too, nice pale ones.
shooter93
coyotehunter

Post by shooter93 »

I have called alot of dogs on flat ground where they see a truck coming, have someone drop you off and let them go on, the coyote may need to calm down awhile but alot of time they will responed in 15 min., its worth a try. GOOD HUNTING
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

shooters93, right on. No problem calling them close to the road. Just like you, I have called a lot of coyotes off the road , and I mean right off the road. I remember a time Doug Huston and I went hunting to a place out in the Black Hills of South Dakota. We were staying out to a friends place. Only shot one coyote before dark. That night it snowed and blowed to beat Hell. We decided to go home . On the way home we killed 5 right off the road. I was driving so I didn't get to shoot. We both had a tribal license I might add. We took the back roads and the coyotes were out . When we spotted one , I would let him out , drive down the road, wait ten minutes and pick him up. All he had to do is give a little distress call and the coyotes responded imediately. Grant you, these roads on the reservation don't have heavy traffic. I have done this many times through out the years by myself also. It is real effective when the coyotes are out in a field , just mousing around. A simple lip squeak and a lot of times they will respond to that. Everything has to be just right though eluding to wind direction and availabilty to hide your vehicle out of sight. What really works well is if another car goes by, you can quickly park , get out and get set up. The coyote just thinks the vehicle has simply gone on by him. You don't want to stop in sight of him or most of the time they will be gone in an instant . Everybody has been taking a wack at them. Maybe your State doesn't allow shooting off a public road, but in S.D. , it is perfectly legal.
shooter93
coyotehunter

Post by shooter93 »

it is getting hard right now the dogs are rubbing and are hard to get in, i called one today, and one big tom bobcat, i didnt see the cat i was below the rim, but it jumped up less the 10 feet from my buddy, when my buddy turn the cat humped up and hissed at him, the cat was history, when i got up to look what he shot at i could see hair floating all around him, i think he was in shock or messed his pants, when i ask, he said bobcat almost in a whisper, lol
Skinny Indian
coyotehunter

Post by Skinny Indian »

I've found that people in specialty forums such as this can be way more knowledgeable and informative than more public sites such as Youtube or *shudders* an image board. I have migrated here from an unnamed image board where things were just awful. Now to be fair I've talked to many knowledgeable people on them at times, but overall I find sources such as this much better. And the moderators here apparently seem to do a wonderful job of keeping the flame wars to a minimum. I'm a member here and a couple other specialty interests forums I've found by far that "armchair experts" don't survive long and don't talk out of stuff that they read somewhere, unless they tell you up front they read or they heard.
Keep your powder dry.