White or snow camo; and why.

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

White or snow camo; and why.

Post by ducksmuggler »

What is you preference?? and why to you like one over the other??

I have always worn snow camo.. and am in the market for some new stuff. I like the kings line and hear great things about them... But I also hear that whites flat out hide better. I mostly hunt in the Mississippi river bottoms, cattails/willows/frozen lakes, but also started hunting out in the Dakotas..
what does a guy do?? I was thinking(sometimes that's dangerous) that I get the jacket/bibs from king's and a set on over whites... or a set of the cabela's dry-plus whites(that are already on back-order :x )

thanks
Matt
If its good enough; Better is achievable
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: White or snow camo; and why.

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I've always liked something with some kind of pattern vs just plain white. If in broken snow it helps break the outline better. I wore all white back in the day when i was stalking fox more and it worked great. I where snow ghost but like kings and some of the others as well. I've seen where snow bottoms and a desert or fall camo on top is the way to go also.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Depends what you have for your area. Here it is mostly rolling to flat empty grain fields. I use all white coveralls over my insulated brown ones. I once got a pair of insulated white ones, but very few pockets and plastic zippers, never liked that one. I prefer the ones all white with pockets on chest and butt, and front, just like pants pockets, plier pocket on leg. If you have broken up cover like sage and snow, then a camo type, open country might work better.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I have 3 or 4 different snow camo outfits. I have a brown,white, black camo top and bottoms I like to use around farm land when the snow is spotty at different times of year, A white pair of insulated coveralls, white and grey coveralls and my favorite a two piece outfit that is white with black branches in it that I got from Cabela's, it comes with plenty of pockets and is water proof and is good to -15. Another camo pattern I like is what they call urban camo which consists of mostly white and med. gray with a touch of black. I out grew this outfit and gave it to a young hunter...
My solid white outfit is G.I. issued and fits over bulky clothes so I can use them with other outfits to mix up the pattern a little more.

Here are some pic's of camo colors I use and some mixed to blend in better with ground conditions or type of cover hunting in..

ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

Tac. I agree with you about the pockets, I hate having to reach through to get to a pocket..I have to devote one of my pockets to just food, cause of my diabetes, so the more the better.

Tim. I like you set-up one for each type of situation. That's on the lines of my being anal about hunting stuff, a guys gotta take the extra step, extra 30 sec., and never say good enough.... if its "good enough" "better is achievable"
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Thanks.. When going after predators I try to be versatile and ready for most situations and don't lock in on just one of each tool for the job.. For example I usually take along 2 or more rifles like a 17 rem for fox and 17 pred for coyotes and both will work for most situations and I will also have along what I call a heavey hitter for longer shots a 22-250 ackley. I have camo's for warm winter days and cold days, days with very little snow or total white out, I don't like to be weighted done so I use the lightest I can get by with for that day. When calling I don't get stuck on useing just one sound or combanation of sounds, always try to mix it up from stand to stand.
I've found that if you are just dealing with one coyote comeing in on a stand a caller can get buy with most anything for clothes or camo outfits but when you have more than one to deal with and you want them in as close as possable before the shooting starts a caller needs to pay better attension to what camo's he uses so you can atleast fool its eyes..
On some stands depending on ground conditions a complete camo suite of the same pattern canbe to much and make the caller stand out more or look large to the coyote and this may trigger it to run away.. Mix youre camo so you are just bits and pieces...

On another site there was a guy with his new snow camo suite and he climbed into the brush and took a pic to show how well he blended in and I have to admitt it blended very well and took a minute for me to pick him out. The big problem however was being able to see an approaching coyote and to also be able to get his gun up and take a shot without being heard.
I've found it to be best to have the cover behind you for a backing or off to one side and still not block youre view..
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

Have any of you ever found a time when all whites hurt you, make hiding harder??

snow camo(any camo) in the right place works... as long as a guy uses things to break up his silhouette stays in shadows(and doesn't make one), hides bare skin, and keeps movement to a minimum for starters. IMO

I am leaning more to the king's stuff as of now... but have this feeling in the back of my head that the whites are more versatile??? maybe

Tim I have seen some pic. on another site, might be the ones you are mentioned.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I wear all whites. If there is snow on the ground all white is best in my opinion. Here's why take two guys and throw them out in a white field at 50 ft. and see who you can see better. I'll give you one guess, the patterned suits will show up like pepper in milk, that is if you're on a white flat. But if you're in brush, go with some patterned stuff.

even with patchy snow i'll wear all white. you'll be hard to find even if you sit in the brown grass.

it's fun to watch people walk out into a solid white field sit down and you can still see them from a hundred yards because they're wearing some kings or like wise camo.

That's just me.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
barebackjack
coyotehunter

Post by barebackjack »

All white is more versatile. If im out in a white white white field, my plain white is ten times better than patterned whites. ESPECIALLY if I have to readjust to get into firing position. Im white head to toe (good ole bunny boots). I paint my rifle white, the whole nine yards. I had a buddy that thought a white rifle was over the top, until he got busted moving his black rifle to readjust on a moving coyote last winter. That dog busted that movement immediately. Being all white, on white, I can get away with a surprising amount of movement if need be.

Even if there is cover above the snow, plain white is gonna work just as good as patterned.

I bought the Cabelas dri-plus bib/coat set in white last winter. Those things are the bee's knees. Wish I would have dropped the dough sooner, one of the best purchases ive made. No more soaking up moisture all day, thawing out in the truck, than walking stiff legged out to the stand because your soaking wet painters coveralls froze.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I was going to save these pic's for a post on camo later on but I'll just post them up now.
Some of my friends useing different snow camo patterns..

Here is a white and gray camo..

All white.

Two hunters wearing white & gray and other brown carharts with bluejeans.

All white suites.

Duck hunter camo.

Dirty carhart coveralls..

This and that..
Image0529.jpg[/IMG]

Whites in the long grass.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Whites in the long grass.

woodland with white bottoms? orange hat for safety reasons.

This and that.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I definitely vote for the blue jeans and carhart jacket. lol

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I thought someone might get a kick out of that picture, but don't laugh to hard.. The hunter in the Jeans and Carharts is the one that got the coyote at point blank range( About 5 yards) :mrgreen:
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

I.M.H.O. lack of movement trumps camo anyday :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

Wow, those are the dirtiest Carharts I have ever seen! Probably damage a washing machine!!lol The all whites look closer to snow in pictures, to me anyways.