Need Help! Reccomendations for first coyote gun

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Rotumbo
coyotehunter

Need Help! Reccomendations for first coyote gun

Post by Rotumbo »

I'm an avid big game hunter but have never (successfully) hunted coyote. Looking to purchase my first gun exclusivley for coyotes and need help. I was giving strong consideration to the Remington 700-VTR as I have a Remington 700 7mm that is hands down the best rifle I've ever owned. Wondering what others feel and if I do purchase the 700VTR, which scope (make and spec) would be best suited for this rifle? I'll be hunting Midwestern farm fields primarily with some opportunity to hunt further West at times.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

-Rotumbo
Tbush
coyotehunter

Re: Need Help! Reccomendations for first coyote gun

Post by Tbush »

I have a good buddy who shoots the vtr and he loves it and it shoots well for him In 22-250 he shoots factory loads, I personaly think its a bit heavy for me and hard to swing on moving targets thats just me , He seems to do well with it and barrel drop is not an issue for him :D I think you'll find most guys are shooting 22-250 or 243 cal. the advantage of 243 is its a legal big game cal. as well in most states if not all, I did shoot a 223 for years but moved to a 250 for greater distance :D good luck!!
a proud member of the "IF" team
Strombeckj
coyotehunter

Re: Need Help! Reccomendations for first coyote gun

Post by Strombeckj »

I'm in Colorado and hunting with anything larger then a .224 during big game season means you also need a valid tag for the area/big game. Just my 2 cents worth!

Jon