new suppressor law in wyoming

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

new suppressor law in wyoming

Post by Coyotehunter »

Anyone hear the details on this new law.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: new suppressor law in wyoming

Post by Tim Anderson »

From what I read it has passed and is good for all game.. Proably would of passed much sooner if they did'nt have big-game tacked onto the bill.. Got a feeling its not over though..
Don't want to bring ethics into it but why do they need a silencer for big-game hunting??? I don't know if I would want to be in the woods..
Also read Mt. passed a bill for the use but is limited to just small game...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

i love being in the woods without all the noise.......but i do see ur point. i do not understand how it would effect the hunt or how ethical it is though. i mean bowhunters dony make much noise but are able to kill a bunch of big game.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Say you got two guys hunting Elk together and they come across a group of bull elk, the first hunter picks out the one he wants and shoots it and there is a very good chance the second hunter is going to get a shot at the one he wants also. To me this would be very much like fenced in hunting with not much sport to it or skill...
IMO its going to help increase the harvest numbers, good for the hunter but bad for the big-game animals. And most know when the game numbers or harvests drop the hunters are going to blame someone or some other animal because of this.. The states cure is to increase the number of taggs for a area or add more days to the season. The hunters answer to the decline is its because of the wolf or grizzlys or some other pred. so a season is put on them with a higher quota... Now days it all about a hunter filling his tag or money... We will have to just see in the next couple of years what happens and IMO its not going to be good..
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Post by coyotebuster »

Doesn't SD allow suppressors for big game? I never really hear much complaining from them about it being an unfair advantage and hurting the game populations, maybe some SD guys will chime in on this. IMO having a suppressed rifle will not make up for lack of hunting skill, the guys who usually fill their tags will still fill their tags and the guys who have trouble are still going to have a tough time, suppressor or not. I wish they'd allow them in MN, get sick of listing to the constant barrage of gunfire on the deer opener.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

they are legal in North Dakota as well, I believe with no limitations.
devildogg
coyotehunter

Post by devildogg »

Yep CH 100% legal for big game in nd.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

in the big horns if you fire a gun...........it calls in the bears. Its like a dinner bell over here.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

prairie panther .223 DPMS, .204 SST Fluted Bull DPMS, .243 WSSM OLY 24" SST Bull 1:8 MagPul PRS stock & custom trigger. Harris Bi-pods
prairie panther .223 DPMS, .204 SST Fluted Bull DPMS, .243 WSSM OLY 24" SST Bull 1:8 MagPul PRS stock & custom trigger. Harris Bi-pods
I am wanting a suppressor on the .204 but with a 24" barrel.............anyone know anything about suppressors and the length.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Each maker is a little different from what I've seen, it also seems that the larger the Cal. the longer the tube or larger in dia...
There is a good muffler made in Wyoming I think and another comes out of S.D..
Here is a little tid-bit on suppressors, They will reduce the sound on most Cal. but you will still need hearing protection when fireing a gun other than a 22 L.R., there is also quit abit of sound still present so you can still spook a animal when you shoot, unless you are shooting very long range...
One of the reasons I prefer useing one of my 17 cal.s for calling, much less muzzle blast compared to a larger cal. like a 22-250, I also seem to be able to take doubles and once in awhile triples with it...
Most any of the dealers will help with the paper work but you will have to pay for the suppressor while you are waiting for the paper work to clear.. They also have a quick way of getting the paper work done but if you go this route the suppressor is only good for while you are liveing and has to be turned in or destroyed if you should happen to pass on to the next life..
Good luck...
Click on link below>>>>>>

http://www.cracked.com/article_18576_5- ... edoutbrain
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Fully legal in SD and help no one or thing except the hunters hearing and accuracy-both of which are beneficial.
I'm unaware of a downside to them except in the minds of those that don't use or understand them.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I still haven't picked one up.....looks like hen its all said and done it will cost around $1000
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Tim,
You are allowed to leave them in a trust for your children or friends when you pass on and they can then own them without paperwork. A suppressor is on my must have list and I will be starting the process soon. One of the main benefits for me is my decoy dogs hearing.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Good luck.. looked at a few myself but at the moment its way on the back burner......
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Post by coyotebuster »

Tim, aren't suppressors or even having a barrel threaded for a suppressor illegal in MN? I would definitely love to hear that MN legalized them.