Different scope

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Different scope

Post by Cuts Crooked »

HI gang, not much going on here lately, both on the forum and in my coyote hunting. I changed jobs earlier this year, after 33 years of wearing the shield I decided it was time for me to hang up the gun belt. However I'm not ready to quit working and be an old retired guy. :| So I took a job as a dispatcher, which meant learning a new skill set and then settling into the job itself! I still haven't gotten used to not jumping up and heading for the squad when a call comes in. However I find that I like telling people where to go!!!!!!! :twisted:

In my spare time I have gotten in a few trips to the range to practice a bit, and I did some work for a local farmer that had some dogs getting his livestock. Turned out to be four dogs, two Shepard mixes, a Lab, and a some kinda large wire hair. I got all but the wire hair in one stand. In the process I noted that my scope SUCKED! The cross hairs are too danged fine to pick up against dark fur! I had a Nichols 6.5 # 20 on my AR, and it's a good scope for punching holes in paper, but it just wasn't doing it for me in the field. So I tried shopping locally for something new. Ended up with a Tasco World Class. Now, I know these are not highly thought of, but from what I am seeing these are not the scopes I dealt with in my misspent youth. Much higher quality than what I expected. It's seems to gather light pretty good, although I haven't used it in poor light yet, the adjustments are easy and very positive, and best of all....I can see the cross hairs much better. And frankly, I won't miss the 20 power... I really don't shoot long enuff range s that require that much magnification. If this doesn't work out, and I can't think why it wouldn't, I will probably have to order a Leupold. I really prefer to buy local, but there just ain't much available around here. We shall see, I plan on hitting the wood lots, harvested fields, and fence rows hard after deer season. I've worked up a couple of really accurate loads with 55gr Vmax and 55Gr Sierra Soft points for my AR, that I am waiting to try on the yotes. The Sierras did a good job on the dogs, with no exits and still put them down quick. Didn't want to try the Vmax loads because the dogs were larger and I wasn't sure about getting enuff penetration. I think they will work well on the yotes, they are a smaller lighter critter than the feral dogs.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Different scope

Post by Coyotehunter »

do you have a pic of your set up? if its holding zero you should be fine. I don't see much for Ferel dogs out here in Wyoming.
Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Post by Cuts Crooked »

I'll try to snap a pic on my days off. One thing that I noted, the old set up had the scope mounted to the receiver and the forearm, due to the length of the scope. This one is mounted just to the receiver.
Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Here it is with the new optics on it. I really like the fact that eye relieve if far less critical with this scope!!!!!!!!
Attachments
IMG_0002[1].JPG
Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Post by Cuts Crooked »

The old set up with the Nichols scope:
Attachments
IMG_0004[1].JPG
IMG_0004[1].JPG (38.26 KiB) Viewed 10114 times
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Nice looking rig Cuts.Should work fine.Betting performance wise you'll prefer the Sierras over V max.
Been shooting a few locally and had 1 good trip west of the Missouri(surprised to see a few coyote hunters there already).Going again soon and it's primarily a deer bowhunt I was invited on but will try a few calling sets with the landowners son.
Got one surprising kill though.A neighbor had a brother from out of State visiting and wanted me to go pheasant hunting with them.The brothers German shorthair pointed and I was told to move in and flush the bird.Got about 2 paces in front of the dog and out busts a coyote.Popped him with my 20 gauge at about 12 paces. :D
Later same day I was again told to move in and this time a coon came out.The Shorthair grabbed it,it grabbed the dogs nose and we had quite a time for a few minutes with howling and blood flying from both. :shock:
Good hunting!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Wing shooting fer Coyotes!!!!!! :lol:
Dcoy