Somedays yer the windshield....

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Somedays yer the windshield....

Post by Cuts Crooked »

........and somedays yer the bug. :shock:

Went out after coyotes this morning. We've got a pretty good snow cover on the ground and the lake and creeks are frozen over good enuff to trust them fer walkin' on. However it got up into the high forties today so the top of the snow pack was wet and I could move somewhat quietly on it.

Went to spot that is a hay field, bordered on three sides by timber. Set out my caller and my distraction decoy about 60 yards upwind and sat myself down b'tween some hay bails on the north edge of the field. Wind was out of the west and my position is at the top of a hill that the hay field is on with some timber behind me. Looking across the field I have a pretty good view through the timber on the hill side south of me, across a small creek that is at the bottom of the hills.

This being the end of January, the yotes are starting think about lovin' so after about 20 minutes I fired up the e-caller with a challenge howl and got an instant response from two places, in the timber across the creek. One from the south west and one from the south east. I shut down the caller and waited about 5 minutes then I sent out the challenge howl again, followed by a cottontail distress....kinda sayin' "Hey I'm here to kick yer butt and I'm taking yer food too" in coyote lingo. ( At least that's how I like to think it sounds to them)

Within minutes I see two yotes coming through the timber to the south, easy to see them against the snow under the trees. Then I spot two more about 300 yards west of the first two coming towards the field. Both pairs are coming in, but angling to get down wind. I'm thinkin" "I got ya! Just keep comin' and by the time you get to my scent stream it'll be too late." I got my AR15 so I figger when they cross the creek and come up over the bank I'll take the second one to come up and then swing on the first one and get a double. Got my rifle on the cross sticks and now it's all over but the waiting........then I hear a sharp bark from my left I glance that way and right at the end of the bail row stands a yote looking right at me from about 8 yards! It barked again and spun around and hightailed it into the timber behind me. Of course the ones coming in from the south reversed gear immediately and ran back up thru the timber to the south.

All the while I was concentrating on those yotes to the south that other one had been sneakin' in on me from behind and I was caught clean! It's bark warned the others off. Guess today was my day to be the bug. :?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Somedays yer the windshield....

Post by Coyotehunter »

good read
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

So what did you do, just pack it up and leave????? Question what is a warning bark? Does it pertain to just a human being present????
Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Donno how to describe it really, kind of a howl/bark combined, very short. It's definitely a statement though.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Good story Cuts.Keep after them!
My favorite time of year-when they 'talk,even around here.
If they talk,they can become bugs.Consider planning on longer range work if terrain permits.
Here's 3 that became 'bugs' last 2 days via reaching out for them a bit. :D
Attachments
3 howls R.jpg
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Note how weak the hind quarters are on 2 of them.No hair=very lil $$$. :(
'Fur' season here winding down early.Hot weather?No Snow?All of above?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

A warning bark is just that a coyote that's just unsure of what's going on. It does not mean a human is present or the game is up, just means they are alarmed over something, could be strange coyote in the area or what have you.. Give a little time and just keep calling someone will come.. LOL
Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Way to go Dcoy!!!!! That's three GOOD coyotes! :twisted:

That was the first time I've ever managed to call in that many at one stand. And now this bunch is educated.

Usually I get one or two coming in, and I sometimes do ten or more set ups for every coyote I actually see. Leaving me wondering how often I get busted and never even know they were there. :oops:

Thinking about it, I know when I hunt with my son we seem to see more and bring home more hides, probably because we can effectively watch more area when hunting as a pair. It surely wouldn't be because he's a better coyote hunter than me..........would it? :roll:
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

Tim Anderson wrote:A warning bark is just that a coyote that's just unsure of what's going on. It does not mean a human is present or the game is up, just means they are alarmed over something, could be strange coyote in the area or what have you.. Give a little time and just keep calling someone will come.. LOL
you are a wealth of knowledge.
you got SO GOOD at calling, you quit. no more to learn :roll:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

:lol:

Cuts,just stay on m,you'll score.I'm going west a few days again in the AM.Someplace where there are a few dumb ones I hope.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

They are getting rubbed hard here as well. Breeding season is on.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

And speaking of windshields...Let's just say ours needed cleaning after fridays fiasco.Shot a couple of dandies thursday and figured we could get higher and more remote on friday after studying the map and google earth.So friday morn in the dark we take a road I suspect had not been traveled since last deer season,then another 'road' off that- which usually wouldn't be open til late Spring- for a few miles where at dawn we bust through what we assumed were some shallow but frozen ruts to find ourselves very stuck.Hung on the frame of buddies well traveled 8yr old Expedition in fact.No winch,come along forgotten at home,and 2 miserable,cheap shovels.
For the first 2 hours we chopped n shoveled trying to go backwards.We gave up finally n went forward 6 inches at a time for the next 3 hours finally getting out.A metal fence post and a few rocks to pound it with saved us.We could bust n shovel the ice in the ruts.we could add grass for 40yds to help with traction,but the center was solid frozen ice/mud that had to be chiseled from under the frame about a foot at a time.While kneeling or laying in the mud n water of course.Would have given up n walked out for help but no clue which way to walk after getting to the 'road'.Good move since the closest help would have been about 11 miles.
If my back ever recovers will sit down n make a list of what to always have in the vehicle when in that miserable country.'Remote rookies' would describe us 2 idiots. :(
Of course those hours missed were the only calm ones in 2.5 days.Shot a couple more this AM n rode the 35 mph wind home ahead of the forecasted 50-60 mph winds coming.
(click on pics to get them on their feet-as usual)
Attachments
stuck b.JPG
stuck A.jpg
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

you are a wealth of knowledge.
you got SO GOOD at calling, you quit. no more to learn :roll:
Ah thanks.. There are only so many pages as far as coyotes go and calling them and a reason why a lot of boards slow down. Perhaps some day you will reach the final chapter, if not hang in there ... As for going out and calling I have not done it for two years now but still go out and locate.. I just love the hell out of running there hair off... You should give it a try you might pick up on a few things like coyote movement, core areas, fill in areas, and terr. size and how much its enforced or not enforced.. Example: some say the pups disperse and move on to new areas come winter, I find that to be false for the most part... Also some coyotes will use the same den hole year round and not just for the time they bring up there pups. Right now the coyotes are pairing up or still hanging in a group of three or more and as of late have been putting on a lot of miles inside there terr., they hit a section and get it all tracked up and then move on to the next. a good indication why they are not there even with plenty of sign.. Of course you already knew all that so don't let me bore you.. later..
Cuts Crooked
coyotehunter

Post by Cuts Crooked »

Seems like I'm destined to be the bug this year no matter what! Yesterday I went out and my first stand didn't produce. Moved to another section and just got got set up when two yotes came running by at about 200 yards being chased by hounds. Walked out to the road and watched four pick up trucks, with dog boxes in the backs, drive by. :cry:
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Don't sweet it Cuts I'm sure there are plenty more coyotes around. If the dogs go into a section with more than one coyote the dogs usually only chase one coyote do to having a one track mind.. But if you was in my part of the woods a fat chance of any being left behind.. I had three coyotes spotted together in a section and casted two dogs three times and killed all three coyotes. was a good day.. :lol: