Spring run

Coursing means the high speed pursuit of game (or a subsitute for game such as an artificial lure) by a predator hunting primarily by sight. If you have stories, pictures, question or discussions on 'sighthounds' or 'gazehounds' post it here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Spring run

Post by Tim Anderson »

Got roughly 8" of fresh, wet, sticky snow and the calendar says its spring. Go figure.

Wind died down after dinner so I loaded up the girls and took them out in search for a coyote, track or just a little exercise. Had to find a section with out a creek running through it to make it easier to hunt with the dogs. Ended up going to some high ground on what we call the red rock ridge which runs clear across the S-W part of state.. Dumped dogs in a section I have been to a few times, never could find the coyote that was hanging around that area, plenty of tracks just the dogs couldn't track or find it..
Dogs went through the same routine and hit the small grove of cedars, some crp and a tree line and picked up a old track going along the crp back to the cedars and then back out again..
Daisy stuck around the edge of crp working track back and fourth and Copper pretty much stayed in the cedars and a ravine close by the cedars. Sally covered all of the ground around the cedars and crp and worked her way west to a farm wood lot on far west side of section. (pay attention in vid. and look to the horizon you will see the big wood lot to the west) She was moving along pretty good but not barking so that told me the track wasn't real hot yet and she made her way to the start of a drainage ditch which starts on the left edge of big wood lot and runs right (north). According to the GPS she went into the start of ditch but never left that area so I kept a eye on her thinking maybe there was a pipe there or brush pile the coyote was using, from previous hunts the dogs have always gone to the ditch but never kick anything out and end up taking it farther north to where it feathers out into a water way..
I spotted copper working the ditch by the cedars and coming back to the road I was on so I drove ahead and got her loaded up and then turned around to look for Daisy.. She was still hanging around the crp grass so I yelled to her a couple of times and waited and a short time later she takes off on Sally's track and runs to the grove where Sally is still hanging around.. I figured I would drive over to the west side and catch them up if nothing was going on as the ditch and back side of grove was only 1/8 mile from main gravel road. I get over there and both dogs are still in the same spot, hmm they must of found a pipe or brush pile with a coyote in it.. I gave the truck horn two beeps for the dogs to come and a short time later I see them coming my way on the GPS but going mostly south and parallel with road and in a shallow water way so I could not make eye contact.. I backed the truck up to where a tree line comes out to the road figuring they would follow it back to the road. Finally spotted them come out of water way and still going hard south through the tree line. WTH! I turned truck around and then I spotted a coyote up ahead heading for the road where it intersects with another. Coyote beats me to the road and crosses heading S-W into next section which is a 2 miler.. I look back to my left and see the dogs coming still on track so I decided when they cross road if they can stay on track I will let them keep going, if they loose the track I would catch them up right quick.. Dogs crossed road still on track so I let them be and then made a quick call to a buddy that lives close by for assistance and told him where the dogs and coyote was headed. He said there is a pipe in middle of section by the creek and loan tree that the coyotes like to use, so I took a quick look on GPS and seen that's where they was headed. I told him never mind and hung up and just sat back and waited. 10-15 minutes passed and dogs was still bayed up by big tree so I drove down the road to where I could get close as possible and make a walk in after them.. I beeped the horn a couple of times and looked at the GPS and saw the dogs coming back on old track, great! Drove up to where they crossed road and waited for them and got them loaded back up and called it a day.. Good run!

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Spring run

Post by Tim Anderson »

Just out messing with the dogs keeping them in shape...