added a new member..

Coursing means the high speed pursuit of game (or a subsitute for game such as an artificial lure) by a predator hunting primarily by sight. If you have stories, pictures, question or discussions on 'sighthounds' or 'gazehounds' post it here.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

added a new member..

Post by Tim Anderson »

I got one of my dogs all trained up for jumping and running her own coyote and decided to sell her as I wanted a dog that's hunts more like my Sally.. I was lucky enough to have a buddy who had a extra dog or two just sitting around. Made the trip down to southern Iowa and picked her up.. I got her home now and working on the house breaking and warming up part, I think she is going to be a good addition to Sally..

Kalley;;;; female running walker with a little crogan blood in her. Image
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: added a new member..

Post by Tim Anderson »

Well I had a run of bad luck and Kally didn't work out so I had to cut her loose.. I have another pup I got awhile back that is being run in a coyote pen and getting all trained/conditioned up.. Only about 7 months old now but doing well in the pen and the handler will enter her in a pup hunt next Sat., hoping she does well the first time out.. Once Iowa turkey season is over she will be run with some older dogs on the out side for additional training and then hopefully I can bring her home...
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Very cool. Sounds like she is getting a great start.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Lucy is finally home and adjusting.

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Another addition to the crew "MIA" Running walker and July cross.. Image
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

No snow here so I had to go it alone with the girls. Have a section with a creek and some CRP and a coyote den that's used year round so there always seems to be coyotes around. I casted the dogs into the section from the south along the edge of the creek and CRP.. Two young dogs kicked up a deer and decided they wanted to run it.. LOL I got them corrected and caught up shortly and loaded them back into the truck.. My other dog sally, she is all hunt continued on looking for a coyote.. She made her way to the den just like she always does when we run this section. She stuck around and worked the entrance to the den for sometime then pushed on looking for another coyote.. She was making her way to a small wood lot and this is were most jumps will happen and she jumped as soon as she made here way into the wood lot, the chase was on.. I made my way around the section to the north road and parked on a small hill on the road that gave me a good view of the East side of the wood lot and also the north if the coyote decided to jump the creek and leave the section.. Most times the coyotes just run round and round in this wood lot and then try to jump the track and let the dogs go by.. Yep same thing again today. As Sally pushed the coyote round and round through the wood lot the coyote jumped its track and came out of the wood lot on the East side and just sat down and watching or waiting for Sally to run the original track and just blow by.. That's what she did and then the coyote got up and went back into the wood lot thinking the game was over but Sally isn't one to give up as she took the original trail back around and picked the coyote back up as she came back around... So once again the coyote is back out in front with Sally coming up from behind and running the exact trail as before and the coyote pulled the same crap by jumping off the track and coming back out of the wood lot and walked into the crp a little ways then just sat down and waited for sally to run by again.. The coyote didn't know I had other plans at this moment as I knew what was going to happen so I set up with the rifle and waited for coyote to come back out. I took a 200 yd. shot aiming for the shoulder and squeezed the trigger and could see a good hit through the scope.
The coyote then ran into some thicker grass but I figured it wouldn't go far as it was a good hit with the 22-250. I drove around to a field road that took me into this section and put me on the same side of the creek as the coyote. I then walked the rest of the way in and found a large pool of blood where the coyote was sitting when I took the shot.. It looked pretty good and I didn't expect the coyote to go very far so I started to track it into the grass till I couldn't find anymore blood and decided to go back to the truck and get the two young dogs and then bring them back and put on the track. I got them on the track and both took too it and made there way through the CRP and then turned back in the direction of the wood lot and jumped the coyote just as they got into the woods.. I could hear the young dogs barking and soon Sally harked to them and joined in on the chase.. The coyote made a few small circles through the wood lot and then crossed the open creek with the dogs right behind. The dogs got the coyote bayed up in a brush pile and I couldn't get to them from where I was so I hoofed it back to the truck and drove around to the other side and then walked in and finished off the coyote.. The girls did real good other than the little encounter with some deer, but hey no big deal it happens plus we got the coyote in the end..

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

thanks for the post Tim
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Well it finally happened. I ran the dogs through some CRP and they jumped a coyote shortly with a short race going around the north end of the section in the CRP and then across the road and into the creek. The dogs had the coyote bayed up right in the creek so I had to walk in due to the fields being to muddy. It was just a 1/4 mile walk so no biggy, and when I got to the dogs I saw they had the coyote bayed up in the middle of a creek and the only thing that kept the coyote from drowning was a small tree that laid across the creek.. Sally was sitting on the west bank with Lucy on the east bank and both of them giving the coyote hell.. I waited for the dogs to get back and then took the shot with my new Ruger pistol...Image
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Sally getting a track sorted out which lead to a vacant grove just 50 ft. away, so then I casted Lucy into the grove with sally and game on. Coyote comes out of the grove right behind the truck and makes its way into another section along a open creek. I jumped into the truck and made my way over to cut the coyote off.. I got there in time and played a little cat and mouse with the coyote to get it to cross the road behind me so I could use the back corner of the truck for a shooting bench. I got the coyote lined up at 50 yds. roughly and then just followed through till the scope picture was right and then squeezed the first shot off. Coyote goes down but struggles to get back up so I put another round into to be safe as I didn't want the crippled coyote to cross the fence line in this section and wasn't sure how far the dogs was behind at the time.. After the second shot I hear sally and Lucy just behind me so I put my rifle back in the truck and grab the camera for some more footage of sally and Lucy coming in on the track...

Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I got lucky when I bought Sally she had such a great pedigree with a lot of old royal blood and I always figured at some point in time I would get her bred and see if I can bring this line back out with the pups. Sally can pretty much do it all but lacking a little in grit, don't get me wrong she isn't afraid of any coyotes and will not back down from one even if she is alone, she just doesn't tare into them like I would like so hoping this cross I'm making will bring more grit out in the pups.. I have a younger dog Lucy she is out of Daniel Boone/Flower cross and is really coming along good. I did a little research on Peaks Daniel Boone and find him to be a top producer of pups that all have grit and hunt very well, in other words he produces some good one's.. Daniel Boone is in Neb. and a little far for me to drive so I found one of his pups that is of age to breed and has also produced some great pups so I took Sally down to Iowa and got her bred by Legs, a son to Daniel Boone who stands over 26" (Sally is 23")and is hell on a bayed up coyote and also has a brother just as gritty..
The cross has been made now and just waiting for the pups to come in a month and a half from now...
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Sally's pups are here...Image
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

All eight pups turned out great and now getting some size to them and will be ready to start hunting soon. I only kept three of them and sold the rest, sale of them went fast...

Max..

Tina...

Uno....
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

looking good
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Today brought me great sadness when I had to lay my little Tina to rest. Just 7 month's old and starting to learn the game. She put up a good fight and ran a coyote just like her mother but things just weren't in her favor. She will be truly missed.. Image
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

sorry for your loss, good looking pup