What dog food do you feed?

Got a question about mans best friend? health, training, diet,...we will do our best to get you going in the right direction. Post pics of your dogs at work or play.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

rodeorulz
coyotehunter

What dog food do you feed?

Post by rodeorulz »

I am just curious what all you guys feed your dogs? A certain brand?
Does anyone here feed "raw" dog food?
Any reasons or theories behind your choices in dog food?
What do you look for in a dog food? What requirements need to be met before you will consider a specific food? Or maybe you don't have any requirements and feed whatever kind you happen to have on hand?

We've been feeding Diamond Dog Food Naturals Extreme Athlete and Diamond Dog Food Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice Lite (one or a combination of, depending on the dog and time of year...quantities also depend on the time of year).
We chose these two for a few reasons:
Extreme Athlete because of the high crude protein (32% min) and crude fat (25% min) and the ingredients (fair amount of meat products/by-products). The reason for choosing this dog food was also because of how high-energy my husband's work dog is and how he needs so much more during the spring and summer months while working and one of our beagles tends to have a fairly high metabolism.
Lamb Meal & Rice Lite because of the fairly low crude protein (18%min) and low crude fat (6% min) and high fiber (9% max) and the ingredients (fair amount of meat products/by-products). The reason for choosing this dog food was also because of how our other female beagle tends to get a tad on the chunky side (not obese by any means, maybe slightly overweight) so she gets a mix of the two dog foods and our male beagle/basset has been overweight so this is what we put him on a diet with (and medication for his thyroid condition we recently discovered).
There are other reasons we chose those two as well but I can't remember what they were...probably more to do with the Ingredients and Guaranteed Analysis as well as reviews I've read. Diamond Dog Food is also made in the US, which was another plus.

We started with Diamond Dog Food, then went to Purina Dog Chow (not going back to that!), then to Purina Pro Plan, and finally back to Diamond Dog Food (Naturals this time)...might have been one other dog food in there since 2009...

I can't wait to hear what everyone else feeds and why!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: What dog food do you feed?

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have used Diamond dog food for 16 years.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I fed Canidae grain free dog food for a year, it had a five star rateing. Dogs liked it and seemed to keep there weight when running hard. Stuff was a little spendy though so I switched to Purina and plan to stick with it..
I asked the same question to some of my friends that run hounds hard and been doing it for years and the thing was they never came up with the same answer. Some use sportdog, purina, diamond,eukanuma and a few other brands or have a mill make up there dog food for them with what protiens and fats percentages they want in it.. In season when running is its hardest some also add meat scraps to there dog food which is good to help a dog keep up on weight...
Boils down to what's available and what you can afford to feed....
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Tough to find dog food that is not just full of corn.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Diamond Premium and Maintance depending on the season and how to the dogs are looking
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
AK Roy
coyotehunter

Post by AK Roy »

I like the black gold brand and have it sent to Alaska it does cost a lot but the dogs can work longer and handle the cold better. :D
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Sherm Blom sent this to me a couple of years back. I found it very interesting. sorry it is not a great copy but you should be able to get the jest of it. just click on the picture and then you can make it bigger or smaller as needed.
page 1
page 1
page 2
page 2
page 3
page 3