Calling Fox

This is an area for fox: Red, Swift, Kit, Grey...what ever you get a hold of. Calling, Spot and Stalk, Pics. Share your experiences Fox hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about Fox hunting here.

Moderator: Coyotehunter

bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Re: Calling Fox

Post by bucksnbears »

a friend says there used to be a few in his woods 20 years ago which is near Gully Minn. about 60 miles n.w. of bemidji. but they are all gone now. i may have seen one cross the road near there 2-3 years ago but it was a quick glance so not 100% sure but i;d say 95%
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

This is a project for Chris or anyone in the St Cloud,Mn area.Get access to some of the swampy wooded areas near Cold Spring-especially near Collegeville and St Johns University.Set up at dusk and try calling.Unless things have changed a lot(may have with all the new houses etc)in the last 7-8 yrs think you might be surprised. :D
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Chris doesnt do very well with homework! :wink:
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I have asked permission for that land around collegeville (st johns and st bens) and i think that i hold a better chance shooting 5 coyotes on one stand :shock: A lot of houses and damn tree huggers have moved in. The yotes have also really moved into that area. Then you have the guys who run them with dogs :roll: and the deer hunters wont allow you out there until after muzzleoader season. I heard a lot of excuses and comments when i went to ask last year. who knows i might have to work more towards cold spring :wink:
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Yeh Chris,was afraid of the access issue.Maybe try around Big and Little Watab lakes.Probably the same problem but...????No doubt its changed around there-yuppie land now.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

They really come to a call easy so if you find and area with sign or sightings you should be able to get one in.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I know where there are some grey fox and levi does too because we called one in a few years ago turkey hunting. The farm is close to my parents. I will have to work on that this winter. I plan on trying bird distress sounds. If there is any other sound that you guys might know of let me know. Also i have been seeing a lot of red fox lately out in the fields in the late afternoon around 4:00. i know they are different fox because i see them in different areas. It seems as though the fox are really coming back now in my area. I think the coyote hunters that run them with dogs have actually effected the coyote population in the immediate area. If the local trapper that i talk to a lot doesn't land trap this fall i will hopefully get permission to trap his areas on land and maybe pick a grey fox up here and there 8) It's all hope and dreams though until i actually get the job done :wink:
Chris Lyon

204sniper
coyotehunter

Post by 204sniper »

I've been seeing a few grey fox where I bowhunt over the last couple years. I'm just getting into predator hunting this year, so I haven't harassed them yet. They're actually rather entertaining to watch.
- Jeffrey Emerson

Close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades....

Only YOU can prevent wildfires, which is good, because I've got things to do.

"That'll learn ya."
The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

Post by The Outdoorsman »

What are some good calls to look into for fox's?? Open reed or closed?
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I dont have any real first hand experience at calling fox since i have done only a small amount, but it seems like the guys who have success are sticking to the bird distress sounds. I personally spot and stalk the fox that i take.
Chris Lyon

LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

open reed, keep it high pitched, and make it sound crazy, works well
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
The Outdoorsman
coyotehunter

Post by The Outdoorsman »

Looks like I will have to work on my bird sound on my ruffidawg more then! Thanks.
ducksmuggler
coyotehunter

Post by ducksmuggler »

I spend most of my time hunting in the river bottoms of the Mississippi. What I have noticed is that Fox seem to use the small islands and pockets that are isolated for large tracks of land.

Its just something I have noticed around my area.
If its good enough; Better is achievable