Coyote calling

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

tapiot
coyotehunter

Coyote calling

Post by tapiot »

How long on a stand, 30 minutes maximum?
How loud with an ecaller?
Use a locate only at night or can I use during day?
If during day is okay, is a siren better than a locate call?
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Coyote calling

Post by Coyotehunter »

Depends on the time of year. A good rule of thumb is 25 min. this time of year. There is no maximum amount of time to stay on stand.

Volume can vary with terrain and wind. Start soft work your way up. I call for :45 - :60 then sit for 3 -5 minutes and glass.

At sun up and sun down are my favorite times to locate.

Both work well for locating coyotes.
tapiot
coyotehunter

Post by tapiot »

Any difference between night and day?
So if I go out late afternoon, early evening, would it be be better, same, worse than if I go out at 10 at night?
I'd like to try some daylight hunting before I add in all the complexity of night time.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Every area is different. Just need to go out and give it a try.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

calling all day long is good in most areas, just have to be where they are. If living in a high pressured area and seeing fewer call in then yes night time calling would be better over snow, just keep in mind at night the coyote has the advantage as they can be difficult to see.. For time on stand just have to see what works well in your area, no less than 15 min. and over a hr. if you know they are there.. Locate all night long if you have the areas and time to see what's around and where and keep in mind the ones you locate just after dark or just before sunrise will be close to the same spot when the sun comes up.. I use full volume starting the stand with a mouse distress and then work up the sound list to bigger prey animals... Good luck