Friday Morning fling.

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

alleyyooper
coyotehunter

Friday Morning fling.

Post by alleyyooper »

Some time about 8:30 PM Thursday evening Dean called and said that John had called him. John wanted to know if Dean and I were going out on Friday and that he had received a call from a farmer with coyote problem. Dean said he had to be back in his office by noon Friday didn’t want to go far but would love to go out. Said I should call John and get the particulars on the farmer along with a phone number so I could call and make an appointment to do our questions.

I called John and caught him out in his sugar shack with Mike bottling syrup. I got the information and told John that Dean couldn’t make a day of it but I could check it out and do the questions alone. John said Mike just told him he wanted to go along with me. Told me to stop by and get his gator and Mike.

I woke up at 2:30 AM my toes on my right foot were hurting it is the worst one (hammer toes) and hurts more often while sleeping than the left one. Took a couple Motrin and made some tea. Decided to load my gear in the truck and then make some breakfast a few flap jacks with Blue Berries I felt would be good. Finished breakfast and made a quart of tea.

Don’t think I have told any one about my new thermos from Stanley, a free replacement for my old one that wouldn’t keep things hot more that 3 hours or Luke warm for a couple hours more.

A quick look at my lap top and then packed it in the bag so I would have it to mess with while waiting for mike to finish his therapy. I usually send my daughter and my oldest grand daughter an e mail on Fridays with what ya gonna do on the week end.

Time to go meet Dean at the truck stop a good place close to Deans office and Johns farm. Also my lunch.

I transferred my gear to Deans truck and off we went about 5 miles down the road. This place is a truck farm with a veggie stand in the summer surrounded on two sides by a state game area lots of marsh area on the game area land and a beef operation on the 3d side.

We park and hike back to where we are going to set up a hill side above a deep wide cut across the property. There is only snow in spots now.

The trucks read out had said 20F just before the key was turned off so it is cold, we didn’t have long to wait. With in 10 minutes 3 coyotes came into the cut from the game area off to the east. It is in my zone but there is no way I can put 3 coyotes down so sign to Dean to shift and take the first and last coyote and I would do what I could with the middle one. He was supposed to say when also, watched his finger when it triggers I shot. I heard the last shot from Deans rifle and we had 3 coyotes down.

All 3 had decent fur yet. Got our gear back to the truck along with the coyotes for later skinning. Drive a couple miles farther and pull into a pig farm, park and the temp was still 20F.

Walk back and set two decoys out and both callers. Get to our set and start the little piggy squealing in distress and then kick in some coyotes having sport with some thing.

Wasn’t long and this crazy coyote came out of some cat tails sat down looking at the decoys and kept rocking his head from side to side like dogs do when listening some times. I fired and had my second coyote. Turned out to be a young one and Dumb too. going to eat this one.

We wait out normal time and nothing else showed up so we packed it in and hit a third farm which was going to be the last for the morning.

Third farm is a dairy operation about 100 to 150 cows and they get turned out to graze even.

We walk back down the lane thinking glad the mud is still froze as they had been hauling manure so the lane would have been sloppy. Sun is now fully up and it does feel a little warmer but not by much

Truck read out showed 28F, had to be a wind chill too as I could feel it on my cheeks facing north. 20 minutes of calling and nothing shows wait 10 more and go pick up and head for the truck.

:D Al
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Friday Morning fling.

Post by Coyotehunter »

:D
alleyyooper
coyotehunter

Post by alleyyooper »

My friend John passed away unexpectly in June.

:D Al
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

sorry for your loss