Friday Fling afternoon.

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

alleyyooper
coyotehunter

Friday Fling afternoon.

Post by alleyyooper »

I had a gut bomb at the truck stop and an order of onion rings which were good. People think food is so good at truck stops because all the truckers eat there. Have you ever taken a good look at a semi tractor and trailer? Today they are even bigger then back when I drove in the 1980’s. You can’t just squeeze them in to those tiny car/pickup slots. In other words truckers eat where they can find parking for their rig and has been that way for a lot of years.

I arrive a Johns and Cheryl says he is back at the sugar shack. I walk back there and am greeted by the sweet smell of sap boiling getting close to bottling time.
John walks back up to the machine shed and tells me to back in to hook to the trailer he has all ready loaded the gator on. Says Mike is in town doing his therapy and should be back any minute.
John and I talk a bit then he says he has to get back to the sugar shack as it is close to being ready to bottle and a new batch put in the reducer pan. Told me the sap has been flowing real good the last two weeks.

Mike finally arrives just as I am putting my laptop back in the bag. Says he is sorry for being late and will explain as we drive. He gets his gear puts it in my truck and we head out.
Mike is wanting to talk as we have not seen each other for a couple weeks or 3, says he is working hard at pushing weights with his legs but 10 pounds hurts to get it 25% up.
Told me his X (soon) wife showed up and wanted money. Got ticked when he told her he has none to give her any more.

We finally hit a farm we are going to hunt. I first call the farmer with the coyote problem and set a appointment for 3:00PM before I gear up.
Mike has the gator unloaded by the time I finish and get geared up. I let Mike do the driving as I have never hunted from a rig before.

Mike gets us back to the edge of a hay field about 20 acres and a wood lot across the way appears a lot of autumn olive along the edge. I walk out and set the decoy up about 75 yards from the set we had picked out and about another 75 yards to set the caller out.

Get back and sign to Mike any shot is his unless he just can’t get in position.
He signs OK.
About 15 minutes a pair of coyotes come out to the lonely horny female sounds Mike said we should try as it is after all mating season. Mike signs I should take the trailer, on his trigger.

When the coyotes had cleared the autumn olive about 10 yards Mike triggers and we fire.
Both coyotes are down and we are totally done at this spot and Mike had started whooping it up.
His first coyote since Oct 2016, his first shot at game since two weeks before his accident.

Mike goes and gets the gator and I pick up the decoy and caller and meet at the coyote a pair of males. Now I could be spoiled having a gator to haul out coyotes instead of dragging them in plastic. We had 45 minuses to make our appointment with the farmer.

As we are loading the gator Mike said he was sorry for the whooping just felt good to be out hunting and having the sun shine so bright and everything after the 5 months of recovering. Said all the pain he had went thru and his X wife being a pain.

We arrived at the farm and meet Greg who is in his 50’s and runs a beef operation that until 5 years ago he had been partners with his dad. First question is where to park out of the way. He points to a place under a tree in the wide home driveway. I explain we will not always have a gator when we hunt the place and it may not even be myself and Mike who hunt the place and give him the picture of the rest of our group. He says that is fine with him as long as we clean the coyotes out and keep them cleaned out.

Question 2 is will he take us around and show us his property lines and any places we will encounter cows.
He says he will get his gator and take us around, first place he takes us is to his wood lot 30 acres he says, and this farm is flat being in the Saginaw Valley although the eastern edge. There is a county drainage ditch which has a lot of autumn olive and Multa Flora Rose on the edges.

After the property line tour I had made notes of, I ask Mike if he wants to try it today or does he want to go some place else.
Mike said that since Greg had called after a pair of coyotes had showed up in his yard and terrorized the yard critters we should try there today.

We unloaded the gator and talk about just where we will set up while doing it.
Mike says some place we can watch the drain as the one side is in the sun shine and a good bet a fat and sassy coyote will be sun bathing.
We get back there and while Mike is trying to hide the gator I set two decoys out and clip feathers to the tails so they look bigger. Then set the caller out, where we have them about 200 yards from the drainage ditch and we set up in a fence line about 100 yards more.

We again went with Mikes idea a Horney female calling. That seems to be the hot ticket as we soon and 4 coyotes crossing the field going for the decoys.

We were able to take out 3 of them, Mike was pretty fast with his old Remington in 222 Mag.
One male and two females with decent fur were loaded in the gator with our gear. I told mike once we were back and loading the gator I was really happy he was able to get two coyotes and not start a whooping and hollering.
Greg came out of his machine shop and looked at the coyotes and said you guys don’t fool around do you.

I needed to get back home it was almost 5:00 PM. Got back to Johns and got the trailer back in the machine shop. John came and had to listen to Mike tell the story while I gave my notes on the new farm to him for Eric to do a google earth lay out for the guys.
I will not be coming to Sundays meeting again as I am going to shoot clays with Chuck as I am not sure how much longer he will be able to do any thing at all.

Arrive back at my house tired just in time to walk my pups and feed them then fill the furnace with wood and have supper.

:D Al