Male or Female?

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
CoyoteAssassin

Male or Female?

Post by CoyoteAssassin »

How do you tell the difference between a male and a female coyote from a ways away? I read the other "male or female" forum on which sex to shoot, which I guess is the female first. But it didn't say anything about how to tell which one is the female...
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Re: Male or Female?

Post by Tim Anderson »

I don't worry about it, just take the chip shot first.. Not always but most of the time the male will come in first but have had it happen the other way around a few times this year... Also had it where a female came in with one of the years pups and the female stayed back or followed behind aways and let the pup into range first.... About all you can do is guess ....
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

If you watch closely you should be able to see which is which if you watch them come a ways by how they urinate and interact with each other. No way to tell just by looking at them. Later in the year the better where the male will usually be marking as he comes in.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

you can get some facial ques..........kind of like sexing bears. look at the ears, and the nose. As females get older and expectialing if running with a young male it can be tough. 2 adults of the same age Male and female, the female will look more petite, pointier ears, and narrow pointy nose. subtle differences but something to look for when trying to figure out the sex.
Coyotes Forever