Sample of Coyotes - Greed & how to sneak in?

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Sample of Coyotes - Greed & how to sneak in?

Post by Coyote Huntress »

Hi,

First coyote we saw calling in from the area where two young horses were taken down - one corner of our pasture. I've read or heard somewhere that a fence line will stop a coyote coming in further - any experience with this? With this coyote, I was very excited and got greedy as he was flicking his ears behind him, even looked behind him, and off to the side. I knew there were more and wanted more, so hesitated and was indecisive about shooting. Any advice about this for the future? He saw us, so he's educated now, dumb mistake on my part. I think we should have taken him - had him in sight and clear shot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQQb8VJAyU[/video]

And, I'm sure you guys and gals have heard many coyotes yipping at once. Just thought I'd share a short clip of some of our landscape and a sample of what we hear. I plan to get better quality this spring/summer, when they are surrounding our farm like they tend to do. This video was taken one mile west of our farm. My back was to the south. My apologies about the wind, you'll have to turn your volume up a bit to hear them.

Any suggestions about how to sneak in when you are surrounded by woods? I'm assuming that a person has to be prepared to sit for hours in a case like this, waiting to start calling for a long while? Like the one individual said about going out in the early morning and all day (my apologies, your forum name is slipping my mind at the moment...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA7SG_jZuEE[/video]

Thanks in advance,
Coyote Huntress
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Sample of Coyotes - Greed & how to sneak in?

Post by Prairie Ghost »

It looks like you have great terrain for snaring i would suggest learning how to hang snares properly and learning to trap you have a larger problem than calling alone can handle.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Cool vid... Just set up close to home and make 15-20 minute stand and then work youre way farther out into the country side 1/4 -1/2 mile at a time... Can't tell for sure in the vid. but I'm assumeing those are small wood lots or what not, if so set up on the end and call into the wind and torwards the next woodlot. You want to be set up so you can see up wind and both sides of you if possable and use a wood lot as a backing behind you... Good luck...
Coyote Huntress
coyotehunter

Post by Coyote Huntress »

Thanks Prairie Ghost and Tim. I'll be taking your advice.

Some say the coyote's song is beautiful. After hearing this, and it gets worse each year, many of us around here all agree that the sound is on the verge of driving us all crazy, already. :lol:

Ah well, back to the business of coyote hunting tomorrow...