Newbie...need help with locations in Colorado.

All you new guys who are just getting into coyote hunting, put your posts in this area. Lots of good information that would be helpful before putting up a post asking for the "how to" manual on calling.
graphicjunkie
coyotehunter

Newbie...need help with locations in Colorado.

Post by graphicjunkie »

Hey everyone. I've been scouring the web and this forum since 6AM, and really like what I've found here, so I've settled in! lol.

quick background so you understand where I'm coming from....
I am trying to get back into hunting for the sake of spending time with my son. I grew up in the NW region of Wyoming in Powell, just by Cody. Hunted all my life. Then when I graduated HS and left for the service, some might say that I left that all behind. Now, 20 years later, a father myself, recall all the hunting memories with my old man....so my son (10) has now gone through hunters safety, we've gone out and shot the hell out of prairie dogs for practice...now it's time to get serious. I've never hunted coyotes. So while I'm trying to REMEMBER how to hunt in general, I'm having to learn about this at the same time. OK...nuff of that.

I've got some manual calls, and we've absolutely driven the wife INSANE practicing. 8) One call is a wounded animal, can't recall the name but it's small and green. And the other is the heckling howler. (favorite)
We've BEEN hunting with our .22's. But after reading some articles here this morning, I'm investing in a good scope for my .223 (possibly NIKON BDC) and Saturday is a gun show and my son is going to get a new gun as well. Probably also a .223 as I'm going to start reloading and that will make things more convenient.

We live in Eaton, which is about 15 miles East of Fort Collins, 8 miles north of Greeley. I've been told by MANY that the Pawnee is a haven for Coyotes. We've been out weekend after weekend mainly hunting prairie dogs, and trying to find a good location for coyotes. I have yet to see any SIGN of coyotes out there. Literally one Sunday we covered almost a 15 mile stretch. Poor kid (and Dad!) was wore OUT!
This morning, looking on line for information, I did see something about Poudre Canyon being a good place for coyotes, but I can't find any information on where the public land is. Suggestions there? With the weather getting colder, from what I've read, this is getting to be prime season, and I'd REALLY like to find a good spot or two so we can have some better luck.

So I'm calling out to all you Colorado guys, or you guys that HUNT Colorado... Where would you recommend some good spots to go to. For now, preferably day spots, as sports are interfering with over night camp ventures.

Thanks!
-- Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
-- If guns kill people, my pencil misspells words.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Newbie...need help with locations in Colorado.

Post by Coyotehunter »

did u find a place to hunt close to home?