Anyone else going wolf hunting?

The Gray Wolf (Canis Lupus) is the most widely distributed large carnivore in the northern hemisphere.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Anyone else going wolf hunting?

Post by coyotebuster »

Wondering if any of you guys are planning on doing some wolf hunting in MT or ID this season? I managed to talk my dad and a couple of buddies into going on a DIY hunt out to ID in Dec, very excited would be a understatement :D ! Going to be doing a ton of research and making a a lot of phone calls between now and then. I know a couple of you guys on here have hunted wolves before so any tips or pointers would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Re: Anyone else going wolf hunting?

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I've called them in Ontario locating is a big key even more so than coyotes! You can call a lot of ground and never have a wolf here you they run a lot bigger territory than coyotes
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

I'll agree with pg, the wolves that i know of around here run on about a week to 10 day rotation. One thing that i've figured out is that if you're seeing coyotes the wolves aren't in the area. When the wolves are in the area the coyotes are out for the most part.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
coyotebuster
coyotehunter

Post by coyotebuster »

Thanks for the replies. The size of their territories and the amount of ground they cover should definitely make things interesting. We're definitely going to be trying to locate versus just calling cold. Another question, Since deer and elk usually yard up in the winter would the packs generally stay closer to them since they are probably the main source of food or do they still tend to cover a lot of ground to make sure other packs aren't entering their area?
Tactical.20

Post by Tactical.20 »

I would be real tempted if I saw one in WY! I heard two howls before daybreak one morning in the Bighorns a couple weeks ago. I almost shot the cougar I saw at 50 yds while still hunting for mule deer.
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

You only heard two in that region? LOLOLOL Boys i wouldn't get yourself in a pinch the season will be open soon enough. Definetly some differences with coyote hunting, the terrain they prefer is often a lot different also.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!