Today's News Paper

Who was the buyer, animal type, average paid?

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

tdkahn
coyotehunter

Today's News Paper

Post by tdkahn »

This was in the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette today:

Published: February 14, 2010 3:00 a.m. Coyote pelt price dips; hunts go on
Associated PressAdvertisement

SPENCER – Efforts to cull the coyote population in Indiana yielded 56 coyotes in January during an annual hunt. But hunters won’t get rich on their pelts.

A growing coyote population and increased interest from hunters has flooded the market for the pelts, which sold last year for $5 each. That’s down from $11.60 in 2007.

Gene Arnold, proprietor of Spencer Bait & Tackle, said hunters and trappers can’t get anything for a coyote pelt this year.

It’s legal in Indiana to hunt and trap coyotes from Oct. 15 through Mar. 15. Hunters can work year-round with permission from the landowner. Many farmers hire hunters to help control coyote populations that threaten their livestock.

Indiana’s coyote population has increased steadily since the 1970s, according to the Department of Natural Resources. Spokesman Phil Bloom says bow hunters counting wildlife reported seeing 28.2 coyotes per 1,000 hours of hunting in 2006, up from 24.3 coyotes in 2005.

“I try and thin them out for them,” said Terry Brault, who killed 21 coyotes and won an $80 prize in the January coyote round-up. “They call me every year. I could have got more than the 21. They are pretty thick in places.”

Brault said coyotes pose no threat to humans and that packs of dogs can do more harm to livestock. But coyotes often invade poultry houses and attack injured or feeble farm animals and even family pets.

Efforts like the roundup have sparked some criticism from animal rights groups, but Arnold said complaints have died down.

“I guess people have accepted it,” he said.

He likens the annual hunt to a bass tournament. Participants pay a $20 entry fee and kill as many coyotes as they can in January. The carcasses are brought to his store, where he photographs them before the bodies are returned to the property where they were killed.
EO caller

Re: Today's News Paper

Post by EO caller »

Mitch and Marty could have won that month long tournament in a day and a half. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
tdkahn
coyotehunter

Post by tdkahn »

yeah I know. When that guy said "They are pretty thick in places", I thought he doesn't read any of the forums like this one by hunters mainly out West. The numbers we have here are just a drop in the bucket compared to what you guys have. I'm also on http://midwestpredator.groupee.net/eve and on there a double is rare and a tripple is almost never heard of. When I read about Mitch & Marty having 5 laying on the ice I thought "That's the stuff dreams are made of". I they came here I'm sure they'd still stack them up, but think the coyotes were almost an endangered species.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

EO caller wrote:Mitch and Marty could have won that month long tournament in a day and a half. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would put my life savings on it! :D
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"