Coyote furs

Who was the buyer, animal type, average paid?

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Coyote furs

Post by mitchkvernum »

sold 118 coyotes today whole, averaged 33$ a dog. all shot calling so far with rifles so some had some nice holes. sold to Rick mittleiner out of Tappen ND. He is a pretty cool guy highly recommended.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: Coyote furs

Post by Coyotehunter »

Do you have contact infor for Rick?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I talked with Petska the other day on the phone and they said if you western state hunters don't get some snow soon the fur is going to go down hill fast..

Mitch good job on the coyotes, wonder how many had green bellies.. EEW!
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Number I have for Rick is:701 400 1154.
Nice average I'd say.My high 'whole' is $47 and had a bad $6 one for the low. :shock:
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Ok, so this is the first year I have been putting up my own stuff. Never had the time and thought I was a lot harder than it is... I have been hearing all kinds of crap about 45-60 dollar on the hoof sales, and I know its BS. Glad to get some actual trust worthy reports from guys who know what they have and don t BS!! So what should a guy expect when selling put up furs??? And with that being said I guess I should say I have washed them good, fleshed them good (maybe a few better than I needed) and sewed up all holes that are dime/nickel size or bigger.... they have all been stretched and I used borax on most of them....
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Dcoy that's the right number, I would send your furs to NAFA auction in Canada.. You'll wait longer but that will be top dollar. If you sell them locally assuming they are fully furred coyotes they will Probally shoot you 50-60 a piece. Depends on the quality to I'm judging from our western pales. Nice coyotes on central ND too allot
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

So you send them off NAFA in Canada, I am assuming you need a middle man/broker type deal that will take a % of what they are worth correct....

I have 4-5 that were mid October coyotes that you can tell are not fully prime, the rest were shot after deer season and look great.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Opti,
http://www.nafa.ca/wild-fur/shipping-to-nafa
http://www.nafa.ca/wild-fur

Get registered,get your number,meet the buyer.
If you contact Bucksnbears on here or call him he can run you through it.
Last edited by Dcoy on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

You can sell to NAFA and hope the prices are up by the time the auction starts and perhaps make out a little better than selling local. Don't forget you have to pay a percentage to have them sold or a members fee, plus cost of shipping.. I know a few guys who trapped the hell out of coon and sent in to NAFA to be sold, they are still holding them.. LOL
I watch the markets and just sell when they are stable or peaked out for my area seem to have a better long term avr. vrs the guys who sell to NAFA...
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Thats what I keep hearing, some times its a good deal to sell local and others not... Send them away and you don't know what or when will happen, plus the percentage to sell them.... Seems like with all the extra costs of going NAFA it might be a wash... I don't know crap about this and don't have a ton of fur, so even if I don't sell them I am not sitting on a pile of cash. I have been enjoying learning how to flesh and stretch and see the final results for sure!! But at the end of the day I wouldn't mind getting some cash for them....
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

most of the local stuff goes for trim............so color and the occasional sewn up hole are not as big of a deal. I have always thought on average the good stuff does better up at the big sales. the damaged goods get hammered at the bigger sales, because there are so much that gets sent to them that is early, late, rubbed and so on. Most shot coyotes are considered damaged as soon as you shoot them. even if you sew it up. all that sewing comes out when they tan and shave the leather.
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

that makes sense!! I would imagine that they have great stuff to choose from and some stuff will sit... that is the one thing that would drive me crazy, not knowing if and when they ever would get sold... leaning more towards local type deal and call it good....
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

My stuff has never sat around. sometime if you send down for the last sale you have a chance for a carry over to next fall. Most stuff sells right away. Everyone knows someone who knew someone that had a bad experience once.
mitchkvernum
coyotehunter

Post by mitchkvernum »

Also don't forget we take for granted we have some of the nicest coyotes in the states. They want our coyotes the most. If you only have a handful I would just sell local to. I'm so wrapped up in this long range stuff and shooting everything with a 105 a max is like tearing twenties in half lol. But having coyotes at 4,5,6 hundred I can't kill will eat me up. At the end of the day I just want to kill as many as I can. Suppressed .204 is a blast though
Optimax90
coyotehunter

Post by Optimax90 »

Yes those 105s will tear shat up for sure!!! I started shooting 80gr bergers out of my .22-250AI and as long as I get a full frontal shot they are bad ass!!!

As of this morning I have 26 hanging... couple yet to dry good (coyotehunter, I have been doing like you said and leaving them on there as long as I can) so yes I don't have a bunch, but most are in good shape and sewing up well. I do have about 10 that have zero holes, expect the small chest hole as entry... Honestly just looking to raise some money for a suppressor at this point. I have the extra time and nothing else major to do...

I have two badgers in the freezer (whole) and not sure if I want to attempt to do them or sell whole...