NAFA Vs. FHA

Who was the buyer, animal type, average paid?

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

NAFA Vs. FHA

Post by LeviM »

Anyone have any prior experience shipping your furs to either auction? I am looking for pros or cons of one or both auctions. Would you recommend shipping to these auctions or sell to a local fur buyer? Any thoughts, experinces or opinions??

North American Fur Auctions Vs. Fur Harvesters Auction Inc.
Last edited by LeviM on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Re: NAFTA Vs. FHA

Post by Fallguy »

Good post Levi.

I am also interested in this. I have never sold to the auction. I have only sold to a local buyer. I am too impatient to wait for my money. However, maybe it is something a guy needs to do.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: NAFA Vs. FHA

Post by Coyotehunter »

The big show has some advantages. I believe your top animals get top prices, the lower end does not get much attention. I would sell the good stuff up north and the marginal products to a local buyer and not even put the time into putting them up unless you thuroughly enjoy the process. You are money ahead with the shot up, broken down, pour fur in general to sell on the round and put the money in the gas tank. take the time with the good stuff and either ship it or drop it off at one of the many pick up points. I do not have a view on one being better than another. I have been told it can be a good idea to watch the market and time when you ship. I have often heard on average that coyotes are good to get in early, first sale of the year, and cats later, spring sale. I think all bets are off right now. I think it would be worth the experience to take 10 of you best hides and send them up next year and go through the process. This will teach you a bunch, they will give you a lot number and you can watch the sale on line. You will see the grade of each hide sold.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: NAFA Vs. FHA

Post by LeviM »

We debated last season sending our furs out to the auctions, and I afterwards I am more than happy we sold locally. If you didn't have top quality fur it either sold for peanuts or nothing at all.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"