Strange turn of events.

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

jcb1911

Strange turn of events.

Post by jcb1911 »

Sunday morning was tailor made for hunting coyotes so I gathered up my stuff and hit the woods. Thats when I ran into one of the strangest setups I have ever had. It was the first stand of the morning and I got there right before daylight and was running a little late. I was about 300yds from the spot I had picked when I bumped 2 coyotes who were bedded down at the edge of a coastal field. No big deal I thought, I will just get set up wait for things to settle down and play a little hurt pup and the rest will be history. Well, I got setup and made my first call and as soon as I took the call from my mouth a coyote started a threat howl and was really giving me the blues. I figured this would happen so I gave the old dog a challenge and was immediately challenged back :shock:. Then shortly thereafter a coyote howled from behind me and to tell the truth I wasn't ready for that so I did the first thing that came to mind and that was to answer back. After I did I thought you dumb @#$ you really sent for the hills with that one :oops: . But that is when it got really strange yote#1 circled around behind me and met up with yote#2 and both sent me a challenge :? and I was affraid I was going to come up short so I paniced and gave a howl back and I'll be damned if they didn't come runnin. To make a long story short I ended up takeing both dogs one at 25 feet and the other one about 125yds :D . I was wondering if any of you have ever ran into a situation like this?
Jesse Barnett
Haydel's Game Calls Pro Staff
BoarHoggLight Pro Staff
Calling Coyotes is not a hobby it's an Obsession!!!!
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Not this time of year. Your in Texas right. I would think that your densities are great er with smaller core areas and you fellows must start breeding sooner then we do? I have seen that sort of response in February, late February up North.
Coyotes Forever
jcb1911

Post by jcb1911 »

Generally breeding season starts about the first of January all the way through Febuary. Both of them were males and most likely litter mates. For the most part your right about the population densities and the smaller areas but it does vary across the state. Like you have seen similar reactions during the breeding season, but I have never had two of them team up and come runnin in like they did.
Jesse Barnett
Haydel's Game Calls Pro Staff
BoarHoggLight Pro Staff
Calling Coyotes is not a hobby it's an Obsession!!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I have certainly seen it in feb and march up here but this is a little early for it. There could have been a chance of a large kill (deer,antleope, javelina) in the area that they were protecting? tough to say
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

That a good point Brad, I was wondering the same thing. Just a thought, is possible they were protecting there boundry? Maybe they had a run in with other coyotes in there boundry area. Just a thought
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"