Re: Pet Coyote

Post by Coyotehunter »

Good grief Tim lighten up a little. :shock:
Coyotes Forever
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Hi Petsr4ever.I've stayed out of this but decided to share a few comments(personal opinions).First I'm convinced you're well intentioned but after all the info received I hope you'll reconsider.If you really care for wild animals,why change their lives?I'm not being hypocritical cause as a hunter obviously I 'change their lives' drastically but I am saying in many respects you,by doing this,are no different.I'm sure you realize the huge distinction/difference between raising an abandoned or injured wild animal(your Blue Jay)and going 'denning' and taking one away from its normal destiny or life path.
I'm also sure you realize there's no 'going back' if your experiment goes sour.Plucking one from a den will deprive it of the training/skills needed for survival so consider your options if it doesn't 'work' for you.(really,there's only going to be one reasonable option)
A few years ago Coyotehunter got me reading the books he and Dusty have recommended to you.I'm betting you are smart enough to now realize you should read these before proceeding.Sounds that way and I sure hope so.I'd recommend going further and reading a couple more.For sure I'd get and read 'Coyote Man,My Life With The Coyotes' by Ray Alcorn.After reading your posts I'd bet you would very much enjoy this book about a life spent near totally with coyotes.
Another you might consider,I found it only so-so but...,is 'Track Of The Coyote' by Todd Wilkinson.(in discussing research done this book would confirm that you are depriving a pup removed from a den any chance of 'wild' survival if your experiment goes south cause not only will it be without parental skills but the knowledge taught it by siblings and 'beta' associates).
In short,IMO your idea is a bad one and I hope you will consider carefully the advice you requested and have now received.
jaybic
coyotehunter

Post by jaybic »

Dcoy,
Now that is a well-spoken respectful post that she can take or leave. You are truly a word-smith and you didnt even have to give her a verbal ass-kicking to get your point across. Tactfull and nicely done.

Jaybic
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Thank you very much for your respectful and helpful reply, dcoy. I will order the books that have been recomended by you and coyotehunter from Amazon. I do want as much info. on coyotes as I can get.

That being said, I am still determined to get a coyote pup and raise it. Years ago, my husband raised a badger from a baby. I have also talked with two other people I have met out here who have also raised badgers and kept them as pets. Who would ever think that a badger, of all things, would make a good pet? I just depends on how you raise them.

I am not taking this on without doing my homework. This is not just a spur of the moment thing I am trying to do here. I will do it right. I have the time and the patience and the love to do it right.

When I get my pup, I will get it shots and have it neutered or spayed. I plan on bottle feeding it dog milk which you can buy in powder form. I will get as much advice as I can from my veterinarian who is, by the way, totally behind my intentions. He knows my dedication to animals.

Most of you on this forum have expressed your opinion about it being cruel to take a wild animal and keep it in captivity. I can understand where you are coming from to a certain extent. The majority of people who do this don't do it the right way or for the right reasons. I have the time, the place and the right intentions.

Many coyotes in the wild don't have a very long life. They die from disease, from starvation, from loss of habitat, from poisoning, traps and hunting. And let's face it, they are very unpopular with people, in general.

I have my own reasons for wanting to raise one. I don't think anyone here would understand why. I will keep you posted, though.
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

Hi.Think you'll enjoy the books.In thinking some more about this,I'm very sure the book by Ray Alcorn will not only be enjoyable and informative but will give you practical suggestions and help as you go forward.
He died before his work(book) was completed but the postscript written by another ends as follows:

"You have read here the chronicles of a truly exceptional man,a mammalogist,ornithologist,farmer,rancher,academician,traveler,administrator,teacher,and a friend.He was a trapper/hunter extraordinaire!
If you asked Ray Alcorn what he thought he was,he would say without hesitation,'I'm a coyote man',with great pride and conviction.
Ray the Coyote Man,loved every minute of his life with coyotes"

Good luck with your project and hope it works out for you.
leadbiscuit
coyotehunter

Post by leadbiscuit »

Personally, I'd rather watch a wild animal than own one. I stopped hunting pheasants and deer several years ago. Not because of any moral objection, but because the meat wasn't getting used up. Now I'm content to watch these animals only and not hunt them. Few things are as peaceful as observing a doe and a pair of fawns during their evening feeding. The rest of my family pursues these animals and loves every minute of it. I don't hold it against them. Not one bit. Coyote hunting is what I enjoy. The point in all of this rambling is that it's too easy to simply call someone a bunny hugger because they don't hunt or a killer because they do. In my experience most people just aren't that simple. Certainly there are radicals on both sides who try to push their ideas on everyone else. Most people just want to be able to live as they choose. It does me good to see a reasonable (mostly) dialogue between people who don't share the same views.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Please keep us posted, I am more intrested if you are able to obtain a permit from the state.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

ok, there is that poison comment again. who the hell is poisoning coyotes these days. Loss of habitat, starving??? How about Eagles, deer, lions, wolves, rattle snakes.......
Coyotes Forever
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Coyotehunter wrote:ok, there is that poison comment again. who the hell is poisoning coyotes these days. Loss of habitat, starving??? How about Eagles, deer, lions, wolves, rattle snakes.......
Coyotyehunter, I am not accusing you of poisoning coyotes.

But I have heard of people poisoning coyotes. It's probably not legal (at least I hope it's not), but I have heard of people doing it. We have a farmer neighbor who really hates them (actually all of our farmer neighbors really hate them) and my husband says that the guy told my husband he has put out poisoned meat for them.

When I say loss of habitat, I don't necessarily mean everywhere, but as cities spread out, wildlife are being pushed out of their natural habitat. I have a friend down in St. Paul, Mn (where I am originally from) who told me recently that there have been coyotes sighted within the Twin Cites on numerous occasions very recently. That, of course, is scaring the heck out of people down there. There was even one coyote trapped in Central Park in NYC last summer. I believe this is happening because they are being forced out of their natural habitat and are moving more and more into rural areas. Why else would they be doing this? Normally they stay as far away from people as they can. This is also happening with cougars. Everywhere.

Don't jump the gun now and think I am trying to get you folks to stop hunting coyotes. I am not trying to do this. Hunting, to you, is your hobby and something you really enjoy doing. Having lots of pets is my hobby and something I really enjoy doing. I respect your rights. I wish more people would try and understand what I am doing and not be offended by it. Just because I like animals doesn't mean I think you shouldn't have the right to hunt.

Peace.
DustyC

Post by DustyC »

I don't think anyone is offended by it, I just think its different views. We are losing habitat for wild animals because of city encroachment but the animals are adapting and overcoming these issues. I do not condone this but expansion seems to be the rule of thumb these days. My only concern is for public safety which in your case does not effect me at all. I do know my sister and her kids have had 2 run-ins with coyotes in there subdivision and the only thing I believe stopped the attack was an aggressive german shorthair. There were 2 cases of kids being bitten and it all stemmed from the coyote losing its fear of people bt someone feeding it. I have my doughts that you are an irresponsible pet owner, i just think you have to personally be prepared to take matters into your own hands should this situation take a bad turn.
Goog luck.
"God hates a coward"
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

I need pet coyotes also! I would like to get at least ten of them before next years Classic! :wink:
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

DustyC wrote:I don't think anyone is offended by it, I just think its different views. We are losing habitat for wild animals because of city encroachment but the animals are adapting and overcoming these issues. I do not condone this but expansion seems to be the rule of thumb these days. My only concern is for public safety which in your case does not effect me at all. I do know my sister and her kids have had 2 run-ins with coyotes in there subdivision and the only thing I believe stopped the attack was an aggressive german shorthair. There were 2 cases of kids being bitten and it all stemmed from the coyote losing its fear of people bt someone feeding it. I have my doughts that you are an irresponsible pet owner, i just think you have to personally be prepared to take matters into your own hands should this situation take a bad turn.
Goog luck.
DustyC, a few years back my husband and I found a stray dog (some kind of setter mix) and took her in. I think she was about 3-4yrs old. Anyway, she seemed to be a very nice dog and got along fine with our other 2 dogs and house cats. After having her for about 2 months, my then 22 yr old grandson came over early one morning and walked into the house unannounced. The dog went totally beserk. And it was only she that went beserk. Our other 2 dogs didn't do anything. (And this new dog was well aquainted with my grandson). If my husband hadn't gotten ahold of her, she would have done some real damage to my grandson. We decided, at that point that we couldn't take any chances on keeping her or on giving her to a shelter, as there was apparantly something in her that caused this violent reaction and we didn't think it would be a good idea for anyone else to have a dog like this either. So we decided to have her put down. I had gotten very attached to this dog and it was a very hard decision to make, but we did it because she appeared to be dangerous at this point.
I guess my point is this; this can happen with dogs too. Many people have been mauled and attacked and even killed by dogs. Sometimes there is no apparant reason why and other times the dogs have been abused or trained to be mean.

I also knew some people in St. Paul who owned 2 arctic wolves. They had permits for them and a big yard fenced in with extra high privacy fencing. These wolves had been hand raised by this couple and were extremely shy around strangers. They were not at all vicious, and were definately not "watch dogs" by any means. If you went into their yard, they would both cower and run into the garage.

So, you never really know what a canine will turn out like. I know I am taking some chances with a coyote. But, you are taking chances in life with a lot of things. Guess I have to take my chances.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

[quote The dog went totally beserk. And it was only she that went beserk. Our other 2 dogs didn't do anything. (And this new dog was well aquainted with my grandson). If my husband hadn't gotten ahold of her, she would have done some real damage to my grandson][/quote]

The dog was just being a dog and protecting its terr. or house. Thought you said you have a understanding of animals!! It appears to me you don't!!!! How aquainted was this NEW DOG to youre grandson if he dose'nt live with you????

Tell you what, go get the permitt first then come back and we will help you find a trapper that does denning in the spring, or are you going to do like you did with the bird and not bother to get or have a permitt????? :D
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Tim, when I said the dog went totally beserk, I mean it went beserk. She wasn't being just protective of her home. And if she was, it was very unusual. I've had dogs all my life, and have never seen a dog behave as this one did.

As far as obtaining a permit to keep a coyote, I haven't checked this out yet with the DNR. But when we applied for a permit to raise Canadian geese a few years ago, I remember reading some literature they sent that gave a list of all the exotic animals that may be owned in North Dakota with a permit. The only two animals (mammals) you couldn't get a permit for were raccoons and skunks.

Can I ask just one question? Why are so many of you so adamently against a person raising a coyote and keeping it for a pet? Are you really that concerned with my well-being? Do you really think this animal will pose that big of a threat to those that live around us? Are you really that concerned about it being an issue of "cruelty to a wild animal"?

What is it? Really? I never expected to get the responses I have gotten on this subject, and especially from a forum of people who hunt coyotes. Would you react the same way if I said I wanted a pet deer? Or a pet "wild mustang"? Or a pet prairie dog? Badger? I feel that I have somehow gotten some "over-reaction" here, and I am wondering why. Just curious.

People have had pet wolves, pet bears, pet exotic cats and even pet porcupines. What is it about "pet coyotes" that you seem to hate so much.

If I raise a pet coyote, that doesn't mean you are going to have any less coyotes to hunt. And it doesn't mean that a whole bunch of other people are going to want to start raising them also. So what the heck is the big deal here?
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

[/quote]Can I ask just one question? Why are so many of you so adamently against a person raising a coyote and keeping it for a pet? Are you really that concerned with my well-being? Do you really think this animal will pose that big of a threat to those that live around us? Are you really that concerned about it being an issue of "cruelty to a wild animal"?

What is it? Really? I never expected to get the responses I have gotten on this subject, and especially from a forum of people who hunt coyotes. Would you react the same way if I said I wanted a pet deer? Or a pet "wild mustang"? Or a pet prairie dog? Badger? I feel that I have somehow gotten some "over-reaction" here, and I am wondering why. Just curious.

People have had pet wolves, pet bears, pet exotic cats and even pet porcupines. What is it about "pet coyotes" that you seem to hate so much.

If I raise a pet coyote, that doesn't mean you are going to have any less coyotes to hunt. And it doesn't mean that a whole bunch of other people are going to want to start raising them also. So what the heck is the big deal here?[/quote]

I'm not adament about you not having a coyote as a pet. Its just such a longshot for it to be a good experience for you or the animal. Its like buying a powerball ticket. Kindof a waste a money when you think about the odds against you as is the same for having a pet coyote. I've had lots of wild animal pets and the worst ones were coyotes. I dont really care if you get your ass bitten off, not to say I want that to happen, I hope it doesn't. I dont think anybody here wants that to happen except maybe Tim :lol: A coyote is a cunning and clever animal. One of, if not the most difficult land mammals to trap and I think we all feel close to the animal in the sense that we all pursue knowledge of them as a wild animal as they were meant to be. Not as somebody's yard dog. I think thats why your getting a negetive response.
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"