Pet Coyote

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

barebackjack
coyotehunter

Re: Pet Coyote

Post by barebackjack »

Shes a bunny hugger plain and simple. Her pets "get along and sing songs" together? Come on! Wonder what kind of tune that poor goat was singing when her dogs were shredding him? I bet it would have called in a coyote!

You guys should know by now that you cant talk (or reason) with a bunny hugger. Shes a flake!
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

bucksnbears wrote:me thinks the mod's should shut this down. she started out asking some good questions butit's clear now that she won't take advice. let her live in mamby-pamby land where all animals frolic and sing kom-bi-ya together. nothing good will happen to this thread from here on out. but maybe its just me :roll:

I have stayed out of this from the beginning because i wanted no part in it, and felt the same way you did bucks, but i am leaving that decision up to coyotehunter. She seems very reluctant to learn from other peoples mistakes; and must make her own. If people stop posting, the thread will get burried and forgotten.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
bucksnbears
coyotehunter

Post by bucksnbears »

lyonch wrote:
bucksnbears wrote:me thinks the mod's should shut this down. she started out asking some good questions butit's clear now that she won't take advice. let her live in mamby-pamby land where all animals frolic and sing kom-bi-ya together. nothing good will happen to this thread from here on out. but maybe its just me :roll:

If people stop posting, the thread will get burried and forgotten.
great idea :wink:
the more food you have in your mouth at one time, the better you can taste it!!!
"Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else."
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

petsr4ever - While I too do not support the idea of someone wanting a coyote as a pet, I do however think that you came here asking for simple advice and most of the responses were more negative than anything (to put things nicely). I hope you will head their advice, but if you are going to do this (which I'm sure you are) I hope you put a 200% effort into it. I think you chances are slim at this ending "good".

Take the little bit of advice you did get on here about getting a pup as well as going and buying those books. I really do hope things work out for you and there is little damage done to you or others. I've often wondered what it would be like to raise one, but the only reason I ever would consider it is in the case of an abandonment or injury and I would be reluctant to do so because I know what kind of animals they can be. In fact I'd likely either leave it be or take it to the local game & fish department. Regardless of what I would do I think you would also get more out of the experience if it were a "rescued" (term used loosely) pup rather than "stealing" one from its den.

There are always unique situations out there and we all have been in them before. I hope that if/when you do this that you treat this situation special, more special than any other situation/animal on your place. Wild animals always have that instinct to be/act wild, I'm sure this is the same for one that is raised by humans. Anyways I just wanted to come on here and be a little less negative and a little more positive. The odds are against you, but who cares! How many people go against the odds and are successful? Probably more than people would like to admit, especially when an extraordinary effort is put into it :) And I think you've got that extraordinary effort and time that you are willing to put into a coyote pup.

But as people have said on here, you need to get a permit first and figure out everything BEFORE you get one. You want to be 100% sure about this and make sure you are as prepared as you can be. And it sounds like you've been doing your research and I think you should be respected for that. A lot of people anymore just dive into things without really thinking them through.

Best of Luck! Please do let us all know how this goes :) I am eager to hear of your experiences, good and bad.
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Thank you for your positive reply, rodeo. I do plan on giving this a "200% try". I wouldn't do it otherwise. Everytime I aquire an animal I give it a 200% try. I usually don't get an animal without a lot of planning ahead of time ( with the exceptions of my bluejay and the stray dog we took in). And we do live way out in the country. It's not as if I would be trying to keep a coyote for a pet in a heavily populated area of people.

I really find it hard to understand the negativity here. It's not as though I am trying to take on something like a bear. And if I knew someone who was actually planning on raising a bear, I wouldn't give that person a hard time about it, even though I might think it was the wrong thing for them to do. If someone asked my opinion on having something like a bear or a tiger for a pet I would probably say something like; "I wouldn't try it myself, but if that's what you really want to do then do it well and I hope you are successful" at it." Even though I might think they're crazy to try it. It is still a free country.

For those who might be interested, I will keep you posted on what happens. A friend of mine lives on a ranch near Steele, and her husband knows where there were a couple of dens last year. He is going to keep watch for me this spring, and will let me know if he thinks there is any activity there this coming spring.

For those of you who want this to end, just quit reading it. I am probably done here, myself, until I get my coyote pup.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Why can't we all just get along............ :lol: It is good to have a discussion out side of your comfort zone now and then. keep it civil and try to find some common ground. I learned a bunch watching those pups i had.............some of which I have shared with guys on this site. you never know what she may learn or pick up that is useful to some coyote nuts like us. Don't ever turn down an oppurtunity to learn about these amazing animals. I for one gave my best advice and from there she can make up her own mind like any other american can. I am always a bit uncomfortable telling someone what they can and can not do on there own property. This is a great thread and lots of great posts. something different, and after all these years of running this site it can get a little old talking about what the best caliber to shoot a coyote is...........so I welcome the change and the debate.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I am probably done here, myself, until I get my coyote pup.
Should'nt that read," I'm done here till I get my permitt" :)
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

I for one would like to hear how it goes if you don't mind everyone has a different opinion on what they are seeing it will be nice to hear someone that has no interest in hunting them and what you see out of the pups reactions and actions to certain things.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

I will be more than happy to share my experience with a coyote pup if, and when, I am able to get one. And I promise to be completely honest.

To most of you, hunting coyotes is a challenge. I am sure that's what makes them fun to hunt. Well, to me, raising one will also be a challenge. And that's part of the reason I want to do it. I will be honest, here, and say that another reason I want to raise one is to show that they are not just the vicious killers so many people picture them to be. I would like to really see what they have in common with the domestic dog. I know, THEY ARE NOT A DOMESTIC DOG. It took thousands of years to evolve a wild dog into today's domestic pet.

Domestic dogs show their wild side at times. That's why I told what happened when our two dogs accidently got ahold of our goat that was blind. I guess with that situation, their instincts took over and they became the "vicious killers" that their ancestors were.

The woman who has the website "The Daily Coyote", has also written a book called "The Daily Coyote" in which she also shares her experiences raising a coyote. She pretty much gives a day to day record of his first year with her. For some of you who might be interested, you could also read her book.
petsr4ever
coyotehunter

Post by petsr4ever »

Well guys, today I got in touch with a person from the DNR to find out if and how I could get a permit to keep a coyote. Here's what I found out; the only way I could possibly get one is that I would have to somehow aquire a coyote from somebody who raises exotic pets. Then, if I was able to do this, I could apply for a permit and I would have to meet certain requirements like a certain kind of fence to keep it in, a certificate of health, and proof I got it from someone who legally raises them.

That kind of puts a damper on my having one legally. I have no idea where I could get one from someone who raises exotic pets. It's illegal to take one from the wild, so I don't know how anybody could raise them. Where and how would they legally get the original male and female coyote in order to breed them?

There are people who raise "coydogs", but I don't think I want a dog-coyote cross. I have heard that wolf-dog crosses are not good, so I would imagine a coyote-dog cross would be about the same.

I will not obtain a coyote illegally. I know, I have the bluejay, but I didn't purposely go out of my way to get one. It's just something that happened.

So now you guys can be happy. Some of you can say "I told you so". Guess a person doesn't always get the things they want. Oh well. :?
1dogdown
coyotehunter

Post by 1dogdown »

petsr4ever wrote:
There are people who raise "coydogs", but I don't think I want a dog-coyote cross. I have heard that wolf-dog crosses are not good, so I would imagine a coyote-dog cross would be about the same. :?
Im confused? Must be the dog cross that makes it a "not good pet". :D
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Thanks for the informative post!!! There were alot of things I didnt know about obtaining a permit.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
rodeorulz
coyotehunter

Post by rodeorulz »

pets- I'm sorry to hear you won't likely be able to obtain a coyote. I really was looking forward to reading about your experience with one. I did check out The Daily Coyote website briefly. It looks like it would be all sorts of work according to what Shreve has written on her blog. But, I can see how it would be rewarding to be able to have that kind of connection, especially with an animal that so many despise. Talk about halving almost no social life as far as having friends/family over to visit or leaving for extended periods of time though. Coyotes really are nervous animals and you can really see that in what Shreve has to say. I hope you'll be able to do this some way some how, but if not maybe it is for the better? Regardless, have a happy 2011 and keep us posted if you are able to find one, I know most of us are interested in how everything goes.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

thanks everyone for their opinions, I enjoyed reading all of the posts.
Coyotes Forever
garygorham

Post by garygorham »

I stopped by a farmer house to gain permission to hunt and he had a coyote in a pen. That coyote just ran in a circle the whole time we were there bouncing off a shed where he wore a hole in the wood siding and a rut in the dirt that was very deep. I felt sorry for that coyote and I told the farmer he should either let the coyote go or kill him. I told him that is rediculus letting a wild animal like that treated that way. He told me to mind my own business. Oh yeah , he did not let us hunt his property. Always remember that coyote every time I go by this farmers house.