.243 load

Got Tech. info, loads, tips, trouble shooting, here is the spot

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: .243 load

Post by LeviM »

coyotelatrans wrote:Your using a 58 grain v max at 3,600 FPS and hitting front shoulder bone without bullet splash?

That is something I haven't found in my use of v-max bullets? Use what gives you the best performance!
There is some splash but with out good penetration first, I have seen it first hand and so has my hunting partner, good solid kills on all my coyotes (exept the one that ran off, again my fault on shot placement)

Thanks for providing some of expertise to the subject, you provide some good information, thanks again
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

you make some very good points!!! You mentioned that 300 yard shots are not uncommon and well i know there are a lot of hunters out there that shouldn't even attempt that shot. I am one of them that will take a really long shot but have heard from well known coyote hunters that you can let that coyote walk and move up on him and get him to come right back in. Are you hunting for fun or is this something that you are required to do as work??? It seems as though you have done your homework and know a thing or two about bullets :D
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

I have fun but it is also my line of work, in many areas you can't get any closer without being busted by some of those coyotes on a new approach and I don't want that coyote to go another night and possibly kill more lambs or calves.

We have alot of hunting pressure and it makes it tough at times, the good thing durring denning is you got territorial instincts in your favor, but press them too much and they will move the whole works and durring spring calving they are tougher to get back in as well.

I have confidance in longer shots because I shoot quite a little at those longer ranges and having a "good" long range bullet is a benefit when needed, I would love to shoot them all under 200 yards, sometimes not possible then I need plan B.

I just feel the best we can use for uncontrollable cirsumstances the more efficant we can all be as callers.
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Enjoying this thread considering I've killed less than 10 coyotes in my lifetime and I'm curious about what you experienced guys have to say about what to expect from a .243 bullet.

I own a .240Wmag and regularly shoot my dad's .243Win. The .243/6mm diameter is somewhat of a coyote shooter's dilemma considering virtually all factory barrel offerings are a 1in9" or 1in10" twist--- so are designed to shoot 90-100 grain deer bullets. Makes sense to me that anyone who owns a .243 that groups 70 and less grainers at high velocities is fortunate (unless they have a slower twist rate)- I also wonder if/why the 55 grainers don't come apart in the bore?

DCoy has a .243 that shoots 55 BT's well at 4000+ fps, but I'm willing to bet his aftermarket barrel is 1 in 12", which is ideal for such a loading.

What are the favorite fur-friendly bullets for you .243/6mm owners? Anyone shoot Sierra Matchking or Gameking?

Anyone shoot Hornady 75 gr hollow points? If so, results?

Thanks.
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

I have no experience with a .243 but i do shoot sierra's 52 grain BTHP with my .22-250 with 41.5 grains of H380 at a velocity of 3850 and a 1 in 12 twist on the barrell. I like the consistency that it has had on the range but need to do some more testing on fur to see how much fur damage there is. I had a old timer tell me that if i wanna see what the penetration of the bullet is and what type of expansion or expolisveness that i have, i should shoot into a stack of phone books. I guess the consistency and density of the paper is equal to the make up of an animal. Granted a gel block would be the ideal situation but i dont have that kind of access. Im sure there are many opinions about the topic but one thing to me that is always certain is that you need to have good shot placement!!!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I am new to a .243 just got a new this year, mine is remington sps varmit with a 1:9 twist. It shoots those small grains really well. It will be intresting to see what I can come up with when I reload. Right now factory 58 grains in not too bad on fur, I hit one low in the guts and it was a complete mess. If I hit the front shoulder, not too bad on the fur, still some sewing needs to be done!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Fallguy
coyotehunter

Post by Fallguy »

I don't reload but I have shot a few coyotes with my 243. I use the 95 grain Federal Fusions for deer and I have been just leaving that as my set up for coyotes too. It isn't as fur friendly as my 223 but it puts them down with authority. I just have to break out the dental floss a while.
"Lure The Fur" Calling Team
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I personnaly don't use a 243, i think its too much gun for coyotes, but it does kill them.
Two guys i hunt with use a 60 gr. H.p. and a 58 gr-max. I do all the skinning so i see first hand on the damage they cause and the two bullets mentioned seem to avr. out the best compared to other bullets they have tried..
I used my 6 mm HLS years ago and did'nt care for the results so i retired the barrel and had another made up for my switch barrel rifle..
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

If you shoot a good portion in wind and at decent ranges I don't think it is to much gun. I get very fur friendly results with 80 grain noslers most of the time and 90's do a decent job as well. 15.00 coyote pelts aren't a concern so I use what will be less effected by winds at longer ranges. BR guys will tell you the biggest thing to overcome is wind drift and direction at the target. I don't know many that use less than a 6mm for this small paper punching in compition and with fur being low on my priority list I want a good wind bucking caliber with moderate recoil, so I can see more through the scope at higher settings.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

[quote][/BR guys will tell you the biggest thing to overcome is wind drift and direction at the target. I don't know many that use less than a 6mm for this small paper punching in compition quote]
The BR guys are trying to get the bullets into the same holes or trying to hit a small dot on five different targets for score. Where i just want to put the bullet somewhere inside of a 6" circle..
Like was said above two of my friends use 243 and they don't kill any more than me or shoot them any farther than i can. The main thing is to know youre rifle and the bullets traj.
The question was what fur friendly bullet would someone use for coyotes in a 243.......
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

slower bullets in a .243 is better than faster/lighter I have found. Tim punching tiny groups at 600 yards or a coyote at 600 yards with more stability on where the bullet hits is the same to me! Shooting a bullet at 200 yards and at 500-600 yards consistantly takes alot more time/practice and also alot more variables must be over come.

I hear many guys that say this rifle is a shooter it will print 1" or so at 200 yards I will have no problem hitting things at 500 yards! Then they miss and can't believe it! You ask, How much time do you have shooting at that distance? Well no need because it printed so well at 200? Same for the caliber and bullet what looks great at 200 doesn't mean it will be so at 500 yards! A more stable bullet is a more consistant bullet in my book. Consistant and have the energy at longer ranges is more important than blazing speed and shock and awe! LOL.

Great thing about america and coyote calling you can use what you think is best, but some things are better!The math prooves it out! Good Day!
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Maybe fur-friendliness in a 243 is too great an expectation. Minus any practical experience seems to me heavier bullets with high B.C.s are the better fit for downrange .243 w/ 1-in-10" tubes. Anyone load or shoot 85 Gameking, 87 Vmax, 85 Interbond?
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

[quote][/ I hear many guys that say this rifle is a shooter it will print 1" or so at 200 yards I will have no problem hitting things at 500 yards! Then they miss and can't believe it! You ask, How much time do you have shooting at that distance? Well no need because it printed so well at 200? Same for the caliber and bullet what looks great at 200 doesn't mean it will be so at 500 yards! A more stable bullet is a more consistant bullet in my book. Consistant and have the energy at longer ranges is more important than blazing speed and shock and awe! LOL.quote]

I test all my loads at 100 yds first ,then take the three best loads and shoot them out to 800 yds and make my choice from there on which one i will use. If none of them are aceptable then i will look for something better if it is available..
In my 17 Pred. i shoot the 30 gr. woodchuck at 4000-4100 fps. The 30 gr. has a B.C of 270.
In my 22-250 ackley i shoot the 52 gr. A-max at a vel. of 4000 fps. The 52 has a B.C. of 247
I also practice regulerly at all distances out to 800 yds with both rifles.

This group was fired at 500 yds with the 17 pred.

This group was fired at 500 yds by a kid that never shot a centerfire in his life.

I don't claim to be the worlds best shot, but on a personal level i'm better than i was 10 years ago.. And with the right tools and instruction a kid that never fired a center fire before can be just as good...
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

You have bullets in the BC range .247-.270 and they are a legit 500-800 yard round? On calm days they may print well but on days of 10 mph+ what is the wind drift at these ranges and what energy do they have left? Give me a bullet at/ above .350BC and running at 2,800-3050 FPS on a day with much wind and it will print smaller groups no doubt!

I will say out to 300 yards yes not much differance but you extend the range and the wind and the variables with the wind and I don't want a light/low BC bullet for consistant long range shots. AS I'm sure your aware Tim there is more room for error as the range increases shooting at 200 isn't like shooting at 600-1,000 yards. A flinch, mirage, relative humidity and wind,wind,wind all make it a much tougher proposition than shooting on a calm day in decent temps.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I practice out to 800 yds but i don't shoot coyotes everyday at those distances. Most of my coyotes have been less than 600 yds and taken with both cartridges (17 Pred. and 22-250 ackley)
My farthest shot on a coyote with my 17 Pred. has been around 550 yds and i have taken a handfull of them so far. The farthest shot with my 22-250 ackley was a redfox at 767 yds. and for coyotes right around 550-650 yds.
My avr. shot distance for last year was around 300-350 yds and most where moveing targets. And not all where hit on first shot. I like to give them a warnning shot first. :mrgreen: