Coyotes denning together

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Coyotes denning together

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Here is a picture for the guys that believe that coyotes stubbling on another pairs den will kill the juveniles.

The two coyotes were shot on the same stand 300yds from a den. They were both females with juveniles. We found the one den and haven't found the other. We tried calling that night for the dogs and they came in but wouldn't commit. This happended around ten days ago. On saturday about a mile north of where that happened it happened again. I shot two wet females calling from one den.

Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
LeviM
coyotehunter

Re: Coyotes denning together

Post by LeviM »

WOW!! Great pic :D
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Do you think that one of the females could have been last years offspring and just never left so they more or less become a family? Great pic too!!
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Tough to say i would say its probably litter mates or mother daughter combo but no way to tell for sure
huntinND
coyotehunter

Post by huntinND »

I have run across that same thing a couple of times too. I had a friend that took lessons with Craig O'gorman. Craig believes that coyotes will actually adopt orphaned pups if the den isn't taken out. This makes sense because Our gunner also talked about seeing pups from the plane that were different sized and hanging together, obviously from other litters.
I've got a sickness and the only cure is more coyotes
RandyRoede
coyotehunter

Post by RandyRoede »

Brad are these from an area near lambing pastures or longtime sheep country. Country that has sheep in it every year in that location? Obviously stackin up on a food source. Only seen it once and heard of it rarely. Truly unique for these parts.

Did the coyotes come to the call together or from opposite directions?

Sounds like your numbers are thriving and your going to be busy!!!!

If I was a betting man I would bet this is in some big time sheep country!!!
Randy Roede
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

We winter about 68,000 head of sheep in the county I work. I have one half band, that I shot 7 wet females with in 5 miles of the lambs. this rancher shed lambs and of those 7 wet females 5 where within 3 miles of the sheep. I took another 25 adults with in the same 3 mile radius of the shed. That is not counting the dens and big pups that where taken in the same area. This was all done since 15 Apr 08' on one ranch. This herd is mostly up in the cedars and rocks making it tough to get to all of the coyotes. Needless to say by the time they go to market in mid sept. I will be up around the 50 yote mark on this one ranch. Took 32 coyotes the month of Aug o7' on the same grounds.
Coyotes Forever
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Sorry it took me so long guys i'm on vacation.

Yes this was in sheep country that has sheep every year and that we work all year round heavily. I just got a phone call that that band of sheep is getting hit on three sides still most likely the dogs from those two dens. Everybody from my country says that this is a rare thing but has happened in the past.