NON STOPPER

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

EO caller

NON STOPPER

Post by EO caller »

My best friend and his dad were with me on saturday sitting on some bailed corn stocks. My buddys dad had seen lots of coyotes in the area and the rancher asked if he could take care of them so I got a call. I did a simple rabbit in distress and here comes one, he stopped about 200 yards out so i lip squeak and he started loping on in. I had my friends dad to my right and my buddy to the right of him, the yote came in perfect from right to left and he got about 60 yards away strait in front of my shooters so I whistled: kept coming: barked; kept coming; just about threw the camera at him since I didn't have gun and we ended up letting him go. We kept calling and had a 35 pound male come in the same way and I got him stopped at 100 yards. Bang flop. Just never seen one come that close without winding us and would not stop, Never even broke stride. Ever had that happen?
"CHASIN A DREAM-LIVIN A NIGHTMARE"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Re: NON STOPPER

Post by lyonch »

Yeah i have had some seriously close calls with coyotes. It sounded like he only had one thing on his mind and that was it :wink: As long as you are down wind of the coyote and you dont move they will come very close if your patient with them.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

It wasn't so much that he came close, it was the fact that I couldn't get him to stop. If he was closer than he was i could understand but he was at least 60 yards away just trotting right to left and he didn't even look at us and he could not have smelled us. I know you can never say always when it comes to coyotes but i've never had a problem stopping one in a situation like that. Its just bugging the crap out of me for some reason.
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

yep, I have had this happen. I was in a tournament once where a coyote came in and I ended up just shooting him whil he was trotting past. I was just short of standing up and waving my arms at him. I wish that was the only time but it has happened enough that I started caring a shotgun on stands that I did not have the dogs.
Coyotes Forever
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

Yep me to, had a pair coming in fast right at us with travis on my right we let them come and tryed to stop them at 50 yds they just kept coming, by the time i got my eye to the scope it was all fur and pulled the trigger he ended up 4/5 ft right in front of me . the other went to my left then stopped and T. missed then dumped it on the run it was 8)
a proud member of the "IF" team
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

One word "shotgun" Unless you get coyote fever, but then you have four more rounds with the shotgun!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Shotgun will certainly help. If your laying down just lift your legs up at the knee i have had that work also. Sometimes nothing will work thats the just the game we love
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
EO caller

Post by EO caller »

Thanks for the input, I didn't think I could be the only one this has happened to but, ya never know. I'm just happy we didn't shoot on the run and let him go, otherwise we wouldn't have hammered the big dog 5 minutes later, He was probly a lot of the problem around their.