coyote den

Share your coyote hunting tips, techniques, and thoughts about coyote hunting.

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

xdeano
coyotehunter

Re: coyote den

Post by xdeano »

Sorry, I've been gone for a bit, pretty busy lately.

looks a bit smallish for a coyote. Just my opinion. It also looks like the hole goes down on a pretty good angle, which leads me to believe not a coyote. But a coyote will take a hole like that and dig it out and use it for a den. It doesn't look like it has been used recently for what it's worth. I'd say keep an eye on it during the spring to see if anything will use it, you'll see fresh dirt dug out and tracks.

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Prairie Ghost
Site Admin

Post by Prairie Ghost »

Any kind of tracks on it?

I agree that the angle is a little steep for most of the coyote dens i've seen and it is a little tough to tell how big the hole is.

There shouldn't be any coyotes using or for that matter getting a hole ready for denning yet but i never say never.

I would keep it in mind come april 15th and you will know.
Money is a great servant but a terrible master!!
stopemanddropem
coyotehunter

Post by stopemanddropem »

whats a woodchuck???
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

A ground hog named 'Chuck'. :D
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

If you look closely, you should be able to see some hair rubbed off by the looks of the hole. There is plenty of sticks and roots and there should be some rubbed off hair there. Take a close look.
chadrip
coyotehunter

Post by chadrip »

How deep down and how big on average are fox and yote dens . never dug one up allways wanted to. :D
wyojrt
coyotehunter

Post by wyojrt »

stopemanddropem wrote:whats a woodchuck???
Where are you located? You may not have groundhogs....they are cousins to marmot that we've got here in the west. Marmot tend to have more rocky dens....also known as Rockchuck.
It's all about the huntin'
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

The more I looked at the hole, the more it looked like coon . Maybe fox. This is a coyoteImage den
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

nice Pics Jerry, you have a picture for every situation :D
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Jerry Hunsley
coyotehunter

Post by Jerry Hunsley »

Thanks, Levi, I probably do. I only wish I had started taking pictures in my early years. Didn't have a pot to piss on. Couldn't even afford a nice high powered rifle. Just used a little 22 Stevens Bolt action. I still have that little rifle. It has shot a lot of coyotes in it's time.
xdeano
coyotehunter

Post by xdeano »

Nice Jerry! That's not just a den, that's an active den. I need to carry a camera. :idea:

xdeano
“It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.” -Mussolini
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I have a big section with a pair of coyotes in it and has a drainage ditch run through the center of it.. When the conditions where right i would go into the section and try to call them up. I never got a response so i got the guys together and we went through the section. Finally found out why they would'nt respond, turns out they are useing a culvert dureing the day time.. I willbe going back into section tommorrow to take a few pic's and set a snare or two.. :mrgreen:
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

Coyote dens can be fairly shallow, I have seen some just a few feet deep, others beyond 20'. Fox dens typically will have several holes in close proximity and are typically very deep. In the Top Dog section I have several pics of both coyote and fox dens.
Coyotes Forever
wizbang
coyotehunter

Post by wizbang »

Jerry Hunsley wrote:...Didn't have a pot to piss on. Couldn't even afford a nice high powered rifle. Just used a little 22 Stevens Bolt action. I still have that little rifle. It has shot a lot of coyotes in it's time.
Goes to show you that a 22 is enough-- depending on the sportsman behind it.