pup in destress

Open Discussion Forum

Moderators: Coyotehunter, Prairie Ghost

Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Re: pup in destress

Post by Coyotehunter »

Tim Anderson wrote:The WT. is louder and more clearer than other brands. The recordings are of actual animals and not some sound produced and recorded by a hand call. Not everyone is a ace with a hand call so the next best thing is a WT. But there are also sounds on an electric call that a handcaller can't produce.. Its just another tool that does a good job of bringing them in and is louder than a hand call..
If coyotes are located 90% of the time you may get by with a hand call, but if you don't locate or want to cover some ground the WT is the way to do it.. quiet a few ADC guys also use it and the ones that don't proably rely more on the plane and snares. :mrgreen:
the USDA issues Foxpro's to its trappers, Foxpro has great customer service.

O'Gorman uses the Wildlife tech. and it is loud and clear. terrible customer service though.
Coyotes Forever
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I am rereading this and it sounds like I am dissing the WT. I am not trying to, they are everything you guys are saying they are. loud, clear, and he has a great selection of sounds. a little spendy though.
Coyotes Forever
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

[quote][/quthe USDA issues Foxpro's to its trappers,ote]
Thats right i remember Cal saying something about useing F-P. But there are also other ADC trappers that don't work for the USDA that use WT'S
My WT. was used in the N.D. classic this year and helped a team take fourth place i believe.. :mrgreen:
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yes they canbe spendy, but the newer models out are about the same as the Minaska , and Fox-pro..
I understood youre posts and know you where just giveing youre point of few.. No offense taken..
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

thanks, I have hunted with the unit and have zero complaints about its performance. the foxpro if anything is lacking volume.
Coyotes Forever
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

I don't know much about WT but its sounds like the old Ford vs Chevy argument, in this case Foxpro vs WT, I only have experience with foxpro FX5, and maybe its just me but with both speakers on its pretty damn loud. Also I have live recordings of pups on my foxpro that were converted to fxp sounds, so the argument that foxpro only has sounds of people blowing calls in not correct. I can download any live sound I want on to my foxpro.
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
'Whack em' and Stack em' ND Style"
"Speak the Language"
Coyotehunter
Site Admin

Post by Coyotehunter »

I have talked with Steve Dillon a bunch and they go out and get the real thing. I have no problem with there sounds at all. they spend a bunch of time and money putting those together.
Coyotes Forever
coyotelatrans
coyotehunter

Post by coyotelatrans »

I'll way in alittle on this subject. I had an older WT and I liked it at first, but then the hob cobb didn't give me reliabilty, you had 3 power sources the remote,the 2 way radio and the unit and it didn't work all the time and at times when coyotes approached it wouldn't stop or volume right or may just change to any old sound, well it didn't take long before I said to heck with it! I want a reliable caller first and foremost.

I don't like AA callers but that is me. Bill as we know can be tough to deal with couple that with less than ideal performance and I don't have it anymore, I also demo'd a FX3 while the unit was compact I did find it to lack the volume of the WT, then I heard of a company called Minaska and a caller dubbed the big country and I was sold. A great caller which I can add sounds to and lifetime free sounds, not married to sounds at 33.00 ea and can use what ever I find by simply changing if needed to MP3 format. Been using it for almost 3 years and it has called in a pile of coyotes in that time.

On the subject of volume, I do find a call with alot of volume to be an advantage as I'm of the mindset that at times of the year mainly spring/summer you can trigger a better response with more volume and get some of those coyotes that may not respond to less volume better. You can also at other times call coyotes in big open country with max volume better as well. Summer time is a different ball game and I like running coyote vocals at full volume I feel it triggers those agressive pairs and makes them respond better in more cases.

A coyote pup sound is a great sound and I have used a few and most work well ,again in the summer when there agressive behavior is at an all time peak. I have had them within 2 feet of me and I could hear the males popping there teeth and could see the hair standing on there backs. Makes for some great times for sure.

I like my minaska and it surely works for me, it has alot of volume and easy laid out remote ,a great battery source, not over berring to carry and I have some good sounds that work well. It comes down to what you want from an E caller and how you use it, but they all give the advantage of moving the sound away from you and better helping you dictait how that coyote approaches your setup and where alot of times.
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

Yes you are correct. Fox-pro has been adding new sounds in the last year or two with live sounds. Some of the coyote vocals came from Cal T. and the good thing about F.P. and minaska is you can down load sounds.
I got 33 sounds with my WT and have'nt used all of them yet, i use 5-6 sounds mostly and will use a few more later in the year..

The new WT uses AAA batteries and they last all day in cold weather (-15) and the caller came with a charger and it takes about 20-30 minutes to charge the batteries back up and if something happens to the batteries you can go get some at the gas station. I think if a hunter is going to call to coyotes any good caller will work, but if a hunter is going to target a certain coyote i believe youre chances of bringing this coyote in willbe much greater with the use of a WT.
I have a Minaska Big country also and a dennis Kirk caller and i use handcalls also and last year when i hunted with Randy Roede and his WT i was sold on it the first day, and bought a WT a few month's later and have never looked back..
Tim Anderson
coyotehunter

Post by Tim Anderson »

I feel i need to point out that all three callers mentioned are good callers, and will get the job done in most cases. Each one has its bells and whistles and appeals to everyone differently.
A little test you can do if you have a partner and some electric callers, a howler, is have youre partner go down the road aways and have him use the calls and you listen to them and judge for youre self..
Dcoy
Top Dog

Post by Dcoy »

I have the old and new WTs.(60 plus real sounds on the new one if you are on your second one from Bill).I had a foxpro before.Have tried I believe everything else.
I feel the new WT is about as good as it gets.Surely the loudest.Ease of use and reliability much better.
My old one did the exact same thing Coyotelatrans mentioned plus was much harder to use than the new one.Thats sweet-but bulky.On ease of use and carry-foxpro/Minaska etc win.
The new version,the cheaper one,I suspect may be the answer. I've had very good service from Bill and spouse. Others haven't I guess.Some dislike him but they've always been square with me.
Good hunting.
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Lot of good info, were can one research one at or maybe even purchase one?
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
Tbush
coyotehunter

Post by Tbush »

If my memory serves me right I looked at the wt 6-7 yrs ago then they were big and bulky but just looked at their site and looks better the cost has come down ALOT ! . I also remember reading that all sounds are from actual animals ( I know they can say what they like) and is this the company that all the animal sounds come from for the movie industry?? and do digital sounds fade over time?? my FP is getting a bit scratchy in the sounds. I also think as coyotes evolve over time the sounds will have to be better, kinda like you used to be able to blow a grunt call for a buck and they would just show up..Not anymore, and you used to be able to blow a goose call with a simple honk,honk and you could turn them.. Not anymore,or cast a red and white dare devil and get strikes and fish instead of just follows ..Not anymore, you used to be able to sit in your truck and call fox right to it.. Not anymore, you used to be able blow threw a blade of grass between your thumbs and call a coyote in ..Not anymore... so if there is a clearer sound, better sound system and true'er sounds I'm for it :D
a proud member of the "IF" team
LeviM
coyotehunter

Post by LeviM »

Theres ALOT of truth to your post Terry!
Levi McNally
"Coyote Fever"
"Speak the Language"
lyonch
coyotehunter

Post by lyonch »

Terry what you said is so true!!! Sometimes i think a guy needs to go backwards to the sounds and noises that no one else uses but were great in the earlier years. Every scenario plays out differently on every coyote. I find it hard to believe that every rabbit makes the same sound at the same time when they are in distress.
Chris Lyon

My mind belongs to my work,
My heart belongs to my family,
BUT MY SOUL BELONGS TO THE COYOTES!!!